Chapter 17

May 21st, 2010

Short-Day Get Away

After this hectic week and hot & humid weekend, I really needed to "get away everything" to The Cabin, so I took off right after work on Sunday, at 4pm.

I drove to The Cabin, after stopping at WEIS Markets, in York, to stock-up on a few things for the week. Jenny was happy to see me, and I filled her water, wet & dry food dishes, took a long, cool shower, and changed into some clean clothes, after sweating all day at the GC&N Complex. Because The Cabin's in a wooded area, there's no need yet to turn on the AC unit for any lengthy period, so I lit a small fire in the great hearth, made dinner, and settled back to read a book, sip some 50-yr old Mega-Vintage Brandy and smoke a Cuban Cigar (don't ask). Jenny curled-up on her Kodiak bearskin and slept.

I decided to go to The Cabin, for the rest of the day, since it was cold (47F) and rainy; I had nothing better to do. Besides, some inventory and housecleaning was needed up there, since my last several visits. I took my daily carry-piece, Kimber 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP, plus the Remy 11-87 Semi-Automatic 12ga Shotgun with devastating Federal 12ga .00 Buck "FliteControl®", and my Beowulf .50cal with an EoTech Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 300gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds) along, for both self-protection and overall insurance.

No need to pull into the lean-to on the kitchen door; I now go into the circle-turn-around driveway, and unload into the front door, where one of the security keypads are located, still mindful of checking all windows and doors for unlawful entry. Choice One Security has done its job well, as they've done at my business.

The bay windows were moisture-covered from the humidity, and The Cabin needed an "airing-out", so I turned-on the AC unit and dropped the inside temp from 78F and 85% humidity, to a more cool and comfy 72F and 45% humidity, then turned-it-off. The wooded areas may be cool, but they retain abnormal amounts of humidity and moisture, which I have to compensate for. Not to self: get a dehumidifier in York and bring it along on the next trip. Jenny was "all over me like a cheap suit", licking me, and I refilled her wet-dry and water dishes. Her wounds had healed nicely and except for some fur growing back, you couldn't tell that she was almost killed by a 300lb black bear. Good girl!

I drove over to the General Store, and stocked-up on a few food items, said hello to the owners and customers, who'd remembered me from the DHS-ICE Hearings a few months ago. I paid-up and left. I stopped-by to see Sheriff Roy Bunce and Deputy Corporal Clay Atler, the Chief's son-in-law, but they were both out on calls. I left messages, and went back to The Cabin.

I brought the provisions home, stowed them in the extensive pantry, built a fire in the massive hearth, and settled into my massive lather chair, and picked-up a book to read, while Jenny settled onto her Kodiak beakskin, to sleep. I poured another small 50-year-old Brandy, lit a Cuban Cigar (don't ask) and finished the last few pages of "Common Sense", by Glenn Beck.

It was getting toward 18:00hrs (6:00pm) and I needed to get back on the road to York. So I let the fire die down, haldway closed the damper, checked the spotlight arrays, filled Jenny's water bowls and dishes, packed my weapons in the Jeep, armed the building and left. I hate leaving this place and going back to York and all its attendant, daily BS. But, work is work, and it pays the bills.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict