Chapter 18

May 28th, 2010

Be Prepared

After this frustrating week of only getting partial LSCP Estimates done, I decided to The Cabin on Thursday, my day off, after I'd finished my errands, shopping and visiting Mom, to relax from it all. Rich, my new Registered Landscape Architect (RLA) will be back on Tuesday morning, for an 8am mtg at a very large job site, to finalize the numbers which I need to get the 3rd phase completed, as well as give me 4-5 more estimates' numbers, to work on completing.

It was still early afternoon when I left for The Cabin, and I had a good 6-7hrs to myself and Jenny, to relax and unwind.

I arrived at 3pm, turned-off the alarm system, and greeted Jenny. She was all over me like "white on rice". I refilled her wet-dry-water dishes immediately, with provisions from the large pantry. I took my Kimber 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP, the Beowulf® .50cal with an EoTech Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 335gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds) and her out for a walk, hoping not to run into any bear or mountain lion families. But we did, almost immediately. The lions slinked away after I fired two shots at a nearby tree, and we didn't see them for the rest of the day. I saw a 60-80lb black bear cub climbing a tee, so I knew the mother was close. Jenny snarled, knowing it was probably the mother bear who attacked and wounded her badly. I had a 11-round mag in the Beowulf .50cal, and chambered a round, just in case. But I led Jenny away from the cub and mother, potentially-hiding in-wait, and we avoided any bloodshed. Unless absolutely necessary, I've had enough killing for one lifetime.

Back to a peaceful walk, or so we thought. Within minutes, the male mountain lion was perched on a rock outcropping just 50-60yds ahead of us. I still had the .50 round chambered, flicked-off the safety for the 11-round mag, and took aim at him. We let the worn trail beneath the rock outcropping to avoid him, but he came bounding-down the rocks and across to our location. I had no option but to put him down with one shot to the head. I put another shot to the heart with my Kimber, as he was still making "noises". That finished him off. I would come back and bury him properly, later today.

I hate killing needlessly, but when my life in danger, or the lives of friends or family, I have no compunction about killing. Vietnam Spec-Ops/Green Berets taught me that back in the 70s. No problem. Still, I hate to kill an innocent, hungry animal, just looking for food. But I'm just not part of their "food chain".

I went back to The Cabin with Jenny, restacked 2 cords of split wood on the back porch, let it air and dry for the Summer, and would tarp it in October, for Winter usage. By then, I was soaked and dirty, an needed a shower and fresh change of clothes. I shaved, showered and changed. Felt good, and I was ready for the Winter of 2010-2011.

I shortly walked back to the site of the mountain lion kill, and buried the poor creature, knowing that his mate and cubs wouldn't have a father to grow-up with. A few tears streamed down my face as I dragged his close-to-200lb carcass into the hole, and filled it back in. I kept a sharp eye on my surroundings for other predators and the male lion's family, possibly-seeking retribution. All clear.

As I walked back to The Cabin, all of a sudden the forest birds stopped chirping and tweeting; something was amiss. I chambered rounds in both my Kimber .45cal and Beowulf .50cal, and sought cover in a thicket 20yrs off the path. Sure enough, along came a black bear mama & papa family, with 4 new cubs, plodding along looking for food. They smelled my scent, almost immediately, and I fired the .50cal into a nearby tree, scattering all 6 of them. I "beat-feet" back to The Cabin, while they were semi-disorganized, as I didn't want to do any more killing today.

Once inside The Cabin, I set the alarm and kept a watch outside the windows, just in case one or two had followed me. All clear. I laid the .50cal and Kimber .45 out on newspaper on the 10ft oak Dining Room Table, to be cleaned and reloaded, while getting Jenny her dinner. I heard a car coming up the 1,000ft driveway, and it was Sheriff Chief Roy Bunce, who'd heard the shots from where he was parked, trapping speeders. It was just a courtesy call, making sure everything was okay. I told him of the day's events, and he understood. On a property this size, there are going to be a lot of birthing dens, male and females who will kill for food, and attack at the slightest provocation, to protect their young.

"Best to be prepared to do what needs to be done", he said

It was getting toward 18:00hrs (6:00pm) and I needed to get back on the road to York. So I let the fire die down, haldway closed the damper, checked the spotlight arrays, filled Jenny's water bowls and dishes, packed my weapons in the Jeep, armed the building and left for York.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict