Chapter 32

September 10th, 2010

Midas Would be Envious

After all that had happened with the gold vein in my creek, last week, I called my York Attorney, sat down with him at a 1 hour meeting, and laid it all out, for him to analyze and consider. He was stunned.

Marc Robinson, ESQ, my Corporate & Personal Attorney, recommended that I call-in a reputable gold mining company, devastate the remaining 3-4" vein, clean-out the creek, and remove all gold ore and nuggets from the property. A quality gold vein in Pennsylvania is very rare, and when mined, apt to be short-lived. As far as a "redistribution to hard-hit families" in Adam's Junction, that would be my decision, Marc said, but there would be taxes levied on all coming out of the ground. Do I evenly distribute to all? Or just to the poorer families, and possible alienate the better-off families? Lots to ponder with that choice. Or keep it myself after paying the mining company's expenses, and invest it? There'd also be taxes to pay, and all kinds of scammers after me with wild schemes and "can't-lose investment ideas". I didn't need that. I just wanted to be left alone and not have to deal with a bunch of assholes, which Marc

assured me would happen. Or sell the property and vacate, pronto, before I get killed, or do some more killing.

From work on Thursday, I called the 3 mineral mining companies Clay Atler had given me, and one of the three agreed to meet me on the property next Thursday, to assess the situation, and give me some estimates on the work I wanted done. I have yet to hear back from the other two companies. With having to work both Saturday and Sunday at the GC&N Center, and having Labor Day Monday off, I decided to go to The Cabin just to rest and get away from it all.

I arrived at The Cabin around 5pm, since the Labor Day Holiday Weekend traffic was a bit heavy. I pulled into the 1,000ft drive, and drove across the field to the creek, up a little hill overlooking the vein of gold. I wanted to be sure there were no people trespassing or panning for gold in my stream. Then I backtracked to The Cabin, disarmed it, and brought in my gear and guns. Jenny (the mixed-breed, half-frozen puppy I'd found along the road, rescued, and bought from her uncaring owners for $150) was happy to see me. I refilled her wet, dry and water bowls, cleaned her "litter boxes" and unpacked for the night and Monday. I took a shower, put some clean clothes on, and some clean linens on the Master BR's queen-sized bed. I checked the pantry and larder, and they were lacking nothing.

I decided to drive into Adam's Junction to get two prime rib center-cut dinners, to take-out and bring back here. And I'd share some of it with Jenny. I took my 2009 Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP, with a Premium 8-round Wilson Combat Magazine, a Galco® Paddle FED Holster for the Kimber, and a Galco® Paddle Dual 8-Round Mag Carrier for 2 extra Premium 8-round Wilson Combat Magazines. It suddenly occurred to me that I needed a police scanner, since I have no electronics in The Cabin, except my cellphone. Being computer-less up here is both good and bad, in that I want to "get way from it all", but still "stay in touch", in case a blizzard or some bad storm is headed this way. I called my office's answering machine and left a "memo" to myself to get a scanner on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I could bring it along on Wednesday evening for Thursday, my day off, when I next come up for the night and day. There is a phone line coming into The Cabin, but I've never signed-up for service; I prefer the cellphone.

I drove to Adam's Junction, and south on Main Street to Nell's Kitchen, and saw the parking lot almost deserted, so I went in. Instead of a packed house and lines waiting to be seated, there were maybe 10 people in the restaurant, so I was seated right away, and ordered two *rare* full, center-cut prime rib dinners, one with a baked potato, rolls, carrots, peas, and the second with mashed potatoes & gravy and brussel sprouts and corn. Both, "to go". I asked the waitress, Helen, why it was so empty, and she said that Labor Day Weekend was traditionally a BBQ day for families and friends at home, as were several holidays: July 4th, Christmas and Thanksgiving. I paid the bill and tipped 15%, as I regularly do for take-outs. My order was ready in 20-25 minutes and I had to make three trips to the Jeep to load all the styrofoam containers into the cavernous back of it. I decided to ride by Uncle Ray's Rib Joint, just down the street, and by Sarah's Place, on the north side of town, to see what their parking lots looked like. Same thing: almost empty.

I drove to the Police Station & Town Hall, and only Corporal Clay Atler was on duty. We shook hands and he asked if DA Stan Robbins had been in touch with me or my attorney yet, about the two shootings last week. I said he had and we'd filled-out the interrogatories and were ready for deposition and hearing. He said he thought Stan was going to waive all that and save the taxpayers some serious money, since all I'd killed were scumbags, thieves and lowlifes. But it seems that the families of Holtzapples and Groves were clamoring for a formal Grand Jury Hearing, to try to get me indicted for

murder, instead of self-defense. I said the paperwork would be mailed on Tuesday, and if ordered, I'd appear at any and all Grand Jury Hearings, to tell the truth. I wished him a peaceful Labor Day Holiday, after telling him I was back to seven days a week, with maybe Thursdays off.

The dinners were getting cold, but I had a microwave to re-heat them, and feast, sharing some rare prime rib with Jenny. It'd be her first taste of real food, since she's a "virtual dog", and I hoped it would be okay with her. She loved it, and so did I. I saved the second dinner for Monday and put it in the 'fridge. I called Mom & Dad, to chat and let them know where I was for the next 1 days, and that everything was okay.

I went out on the right-side of The Cabin, large deck & picnic table, to contemplate and sketch-out where to place the 20-30 "Princeton" American Elms, when I truck them up in late October to install, with a locally-hired contractor and his backhoe. I thought it might be a good idea to bring along a friend of 25+ years and one of my nursery stock brokers, Tim Swanson, to enjoy this "virtual world" of The Cabin and Adam's Junction. He'd asked in an email a week ago, that he'd like "to tag along", so maybe this would be an opportunity to introduce him to this wonderful area, sans the Holtzapples and Groves. I need to get 20-30 sites painted with orange spray paint, for the backhoe contractor to pre-dig the holes. He'd have the 2nd BR double brass antique 1892 bed. Being a Marylander, I don't think he owns any weapons, but I have plenty to share for protection, and can teach him in short order how to protect himself.

I carried in some weathered split wood from the Firewood Stack on the Back Porch, for a medium fire, since temps would be dropping into the 40s tonite, here in the mountains. I turned on the heater and set it to 68°F, since I like it cool when I sleep with wool or down blankets. I hate sweating at night. I lit the fire in the massive stone hearth and settled back in my over-stuffed leather chair to re-read ""Unintended Consequences" by John Ross, for the third time, given as a gift to me from my good Conservative Friend, "flytosail", several years ago. I poured some 50-yr old Cognac, lit a Marlboro, and began reading until my eyes closed and I nodded-off, around 10pm. Then it was time for serious sleep. I closed down the flu damper halfway, since the fire was out, kept the heat at 68°F, and went to bed. I was tired from working both Saturday & Sunday. Jenny joined me at the foot of the bed.

I slept-in until 11:30am on Labor Day, decided to make Eggs Benedict, Country Sausage, Fresh-Squeezed OJ w/ lots of pulp & French-Roast, Turkish-Grind Coffee (from whole, freshly-ground beans) with my Chemex® Drip System, and have breakfast on the massive front deck's large picnic table. It was already 71°F and with all the trees logged-out, it would get warmer more quickly than usual now. I decided to call Karl Jayson, the local excavator whom I'd chosen to dig the holes for the new 20-30 "Princeton" American Elms I was going to install. I'd bring the trees up on my Pequa trailer, with 6' x 2" x 2" oak stakes, a roll of Cobra Rope and the "bonger" to drive-in the stakes. I called his office, but it was closed for the holiday, so I left a message. I tried his cellphone and got him, and he said that he could do it in 1 week or sooner, since business was slow, if I'd mark the holes with orange spray paint today, which I had in the back of the Jeep. I told him that I'd have them marked today, and that he could show-up anytime and dig the holes for the 30gal container trees. I'd take it from there within 2 weeks. I'd call Karl to confirm that at least 15 of the holes were dug closest to the front deck, for the first batch of trees we'd be bringing up. I have a strong well 8-10 GPM and would go to the ACE hardware store and get 500ft of hose to water them in thoroughly. We still had September and October to get through before frost in November, but I wanted to get a headstart on the planting, so the Elms would "root-in" and establish before Winter sets-in.

I did a rough sketch of The Cabin's front and 10-acre meadow, dotting/ erasing and re-dotting the new trees' locations. The I got the orange spray paint and put "Xs" at the 30 new tree locations. Karl would be using a 12" bucket, so 4-5 scoops of earth, piled net to the hole, would be plenty of room for the 30gal trees. I decided to just bring 15 up at a time. That would consume an entire day for me, and possibly Tim, if he had room in his schedule. I called him, and he said he could be free next Thursday, my day off. Never having been to a "virtual world" before, I told him what to bring to wear, and what to expect from the locals. He seemed a little tenuous, but agreed to the task ahead.

I made sure that the massive front deck would have 3 Elms positioned for covering it for shade, within a few years. Since they grow 4-6ft/ year, it wouldn't be too long before I'd regain some shade for the deck. Okay, that project is underway.

With Karl Jayson digging the holes, Tim and I could easily install 15 of the Elms in less than a day; we'd start with the ones closest to the front deck, and then bring-up the second 15 trees in another week. No need to rent a John Deere SkidSteer from Midland's Garden Center, after all. We'd be driving my 2004 Super-Duty with the Pequa Trailer carrying everything we needed and could back right up to the pre-dug holes, unpot the trees, drop them at proper depth, backfill with shovels, water-in, stake and mulch them. I'd have three of my landscape crew members load-up the truck and trailer the night before, tarping the trees and Tim could meet me at the GC&N Complex at 7am.

I changed into my LLBean 14" waterproof boots, and hiked with Jenny, on a leash, down to the creek, where the gold ore vein was. I could see golfball-sized nuggets dotting the beginning of the stream, tied her up, and waded-in to gather them. I had my Kimber .45cal ACP sidearm and the Remy 11-87 12ga Auto-Loader along, just in case of trouble. I gathered another heavy satchel of nuggets and stashed it in the underbrush, to come back and get with the Jeep. I waded-in to where the vein was portuding, and using my 14" Special Forces knife, picked loose some even larger gold nuggets and chunks of gold ore. I put them in another satchel and also stashed it in the underbrush. I untied Jenny and we walked back to The Cabin. I checked her for ticks, put her inside, got in the Jeep and went back to retrieve the two satchels. After heaving them into the back of the Jeep, I drove back to The Cabin and spread them out on the picnic table. Outstanding. I just wondered how far back and deep this vein went.

I saw Corporal Clay Atler's patrol car coming down my driveway, and decided there was no threat, but my Remy 11-87 Auto-Loader 12ga was laying on the picnic table, with all the nuggets. He got out and walked over to the picnic table, mouth agape, and proudly showed me his new Sargents stripes; he'd been promoted two days ago. I saluted him and he blushed. He asked if I'd had a chance to get the other nuggets assayed. I said that I'd dropped them off in York (PA) at a reputable assayer and was waiting for a final report. His guess was that they were pure 24-ct gold, worth over $1,350/ oz by now. The ore might be 90% pure and after smelting, would climb in value as well.

I asked Clay if he'd like a cold Rolling Rock beer, and he said he couldn't while on-duty, but would take a glass of cold ice water, which I fetched for him. He said he was concerned for me after all that's happened – 3 shootings in 4-5 weeks – and that I needed to beef-up security, since the Holtzapples and Groves wouldn't let this stand without retribution. I thanked him for his concern, but said that I could handle myself and them, if necessary. He said that Sheriff Bunce had put me on a "special watch patrol list", and that squad cars would be regularly visiting to check on me. I was grateful for that. He left on his rounds.

I put all the nuggets and ore back into the two satchels, and loaded them into the Jeep, with a blanket covering them, and went back inside The Cabin and armed it. I was tired, and laid down in the Master Bedroom to get a few hours of sleep, before returning to York (PA) for Tuesday.

I was back Tuesday afternoon, since we'd switched days-off around, I unpacked and fed Jenny, showered, shaved, changed into clean clothes and went to sleep at 9:30pm and slept until the following day's 1:30pm. I had Wednesday off and would make final arrangements for the installation of the "Princeton" American Elms, with Tim. I called Karl the excavator, to confirm his work; he agreed. I called Tim to confirm his help next Thursday on my day off, to do the job. He agreed. Bingo! Everything is in play. I left a Work Order for my LSCP Crew to load the truck, per my list and instructions, on next Wednesday afternoon, with precisely what I needed. Alan said he's take care of it, for me. After 16 years as Landscape Foreman, I knew I could trust him.

It was another warm day - 82°F - up here in the mountains, without those heretofore 30 massive old trees providing shade. I was running low on Marlboros and gas for the Jeep, so I decided to visit Bev & Tony's General Store for the smokes and Roy's Shell Garage & Service Station for the petrol. Gas is sure expensive up here: Unleaded Regular (87oct) now at $2.89, Unleaded Premium (89oct) now at $2.99/gal, and Unleaded Super Premium (92oct) at $3.19/gal, with Diesel also rising to $3.19/gal. I gassed-up first, and Roy and I chatted for almost an hour about what I'd been doing and what had happened over the past 5-6 weeks. He told me that two of the Holtzapples, wearing ski masks, pistol-whipped him and his son Randy, my snowplower, tied them up, robbed them and threatened them 6 years ago. He said he'd be most happy to see all of them dead, if I could manage it. Next, I went to the General Store, where I heard the same story about the Holtzapples, Groves and Andersons doing occasional robberies. I bought a carton of Marlboro, red hard pack, and a few other things for The Cabin, like two oil lamps, although I had plenty of candles. The burn kerosene, so I got a 5gal red can and a box of extra wicks. I added-in more wet and dry dogfood for Jenny and a small toolbox and filled it with screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches etc just to have on-hand for repairs. I noticed that their supplies of ammo in the sporting goods dep't was badly depleted. Tony said they hadn't had a delivery in weeks, and that everyone was hoarding brass and lead, as I've been doing, fearing the worst to come. I told him that I had 91,000+ round for 8 calibers, and he was stunned. That's more than he sold in 2-3 seasons, even with all the hunters up here! "Semper Paratus" has always been my motto, since The Boy Scouts' "Be Prepared", in 1958, when I joined.

I loaded my purchases into the Jeep, and noticed a Chevy Jimmy pull-up behind me, blocking my way. It was two of the Anderson, Ben and Jeff, one of whom leaned out the passenger window and said, "You're dead, MF-er!", and drove off. I got their plate number and Tony was helping me load, but begged not to get him or Bev involved. I told them I'd handle this neo-nazi crap, myself. I called Sgt Clay Atler and gave him the details, and he said it looked like the whole neo-nazi clan was coming for me, since I'd killed 4 of their "people", in self-defense. At last count, there were around 30 in that crowd. I had a long ways to go.

On the drive back to The Cabin, I figured that the best way was to go on offense: go after each of them and kill them in a situation where they were totally-unprepared for it, instead of letting them come to my property and set-up a "sniper's hide" or ambush me while I was working outside or just inside The Cabin. But that would be murder, according to DA Stan Robbins, Sheriff Bunce and Sgt Atler, and I'd be hunted, prosecuted, tried, convicted and sentenced for it. Don't need that. I guess I'll just have to take 'em out 1-2 at a time, being extra careful. I called Tim and notified him of this developing situation, since he was married and had a family, I would give him an opportunity to back-out gracefully. He said "he's still in". Good man; we'll see for how long. I can teach him what he needs to know in a few weeks, from my 3rd Special Forces 101st Airborne (Green Berets) Training at Ft Bragg, Jungle School & VietNam, back in the early 70s.

I got back to The Cabin side door, unloaded, fed and watered Jenny, and sat down at the massive oak dining room table, to make-up some lists. I would hire a couple of local hunters to patrol the immediate and intermediate areas where Tim and I would be installing the Elms. Tim and I would be armed, with sidearms and high-powered rifles, nearby. This was NOT the reason I bought the bucolic 43-acre property with The Cabin; it was to get away from all the BS in York at my business and relax, and not have to go back to killing people who didn't like me, dammit!

I was both angered and exhausted from all this neo-nazi crap; they've ruined my "getaway times" up here, so far, after the gold was discovered, and I deeply resented it. I had a mind to go on a one-man S&D (Search & Destroy) Mission and kill them all, but I remembered the stern words of the authorities about not doing it; it would be murder over here in Pennsylvania. In the 'Nam, it would be sanctioned and awarded with medals and ribbons. Over here, it's plain murder. What a fucked-up state of affairs.

Ding, ding, ding! One thing I could do was find their meeting house, wire it and blow it up while they all were in there, making it look like the LPG tanks and furnace caused the "accident", thereby ridding Adam's Junction of all of them at once. I'd work on that plan. Not only was I a Long Range Sniper in 'Nam, I was an Explosive Expert. C4 leaves very little traces, and if placed properly inside their compound, could make it seem that they "accidentally" blew-up themselves. Nice plan.

I armed the building and driveway alarms, and settled back into my comfy, overstuffed leather chair, to continue reading "Unintended Consequences". I turned the AC on at 76°F and read for 2-3 hrs, with Jenny curled-up on the Kodiak Bearskin, at my feet. Most relaxing, as compared to the afternoon's activities.

I opened the carton with the new Police Scanner in it, set it up and tuned it into Sheriff Bunce's Station and the State Police, as well as medical response teams. Besides the cellphone, it was the 2nd piece of communications hardware I had in-house. I vowed to have *none* in the beginning, but with all that was quickly happening, some was necessary.

Time to get back to York, work and getting the Elms ordered and a delivery dat set-up. I packed, watered & fed Jenny, called Randy to "take-over" until I returned, checked the windows and doors, armed the building and left. I'd be back, soon, for a boatload of work. But, first things first, back at home and work.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict