Chapter 48

January 7th, 2011

Target Practice At Uncle Ray's

Since I don't drink & drive, I decided to go to The Cabin for New Year's Day Eve and New Year's Day. I packed my gear, two changes of clothes, grabbed my Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines, in its Eagle Bag, and headed north. I left Murphy with plenty of dry-food, wet-food & water in his 4 bowls, that there'd be no concern on my part. Along the way, I called several good friends to wish them "Happy New Year!", before I forgot. I was in Adam's Junction inside of 15mins, and driving-up my 1,000ft gravel drive to The Cabin. I dis-armed the building,

brought-in my gear and rifle, unpacked and settled-in. I turned-up the furnace to 76°F and brought 3 armloads of split firewood from the back porch, plus a 3ft log, for later. The fire was roaring in the massive hearth with minutes. I re-armed the building, and plopped-down in my overstuffed, comfy leather chair, and nodded-off to sleep. I dreamed of Gabrielle.

The cellphone rung all too soon, and it was both Capt Bunce and Sgt Clay, asking if I'd come back down to the Police Station to be "Re-Deputized", as they had some real problems going on. How the hell they knew I was here was a mystery to me. I splashed some cold water on my face, loaded my AR-10, mags and ammo into it, re-armed The Cabin, and set-off for their offices ASAP.

It seems that a small band of 15-20 "Outlaws" motorcycle riders had gathered at Uncle Ray's Rib Joint, in the recently-rowdy north end of town, and were planning some "New Year's Havoc" on Adam's Junction, as they had done over several past years, with bank robberies, rapes, home invasions and the like. All of the 5 Deputies were out in Patrol Cars, isolating the north end for now, but they needed a "sniper" to pick-off the 15-20 riders. The DA, Stan Robbins, was there as I was "Re-Deputized", and said he'd sanction this with his office and the Grand Jury. I told him, "No offense, sir, but I'd like that in writing on official letterhead", which he immediately provided. Okay, I was an "enlisted Volunteer Deputy Sheriff", once again, with my old Deputy Sheriff Badge & ID.

Chief Bunce, Sgt Atler and the DA Stan Robbins followed me out to the Jeep, and I brought-in my "tricked-out" AR-10 with its Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope inside, loaded the mags, adjusted the sling, and slipped it into the Eagle Bag, for transport. We piled into my Jeep, since it was unmarked and Sgt Clay handed-out police walkie-talkies, tuned to channel 7, same as the Deputies. He let them know we were coming to help. He gave them my license plate, make/model/color of the vehicle, so we wouldn't be confused with the "bad guys", or any local "intruders" trying to help the bikers.

Uncle Ray's Rib Joint is in the center of the block, between North St & Locust Ave, and the Deputies had both ends of the block sealed-off. I had the Mark 3-4x IV Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope bolted on, which gave me 600-800yds range, so I needed a "hide" where I

could pick the "Outlaws" off quickly and efficiently, since the AR-10 had no suppressor/ silencer, as my AR-15 did, and it would be loud. I pulled the Jeep in between the 2 Deputies cars on Locust Ave, grabbed the Eagle Bag, loaded mags and ammo inside, and high-tailed it for a house with a "widow's walk" on the third floor, to get some advantage. There are many old, beautiful homes in this old town. I set-up "shop", with Sgt Clay assisting and spotting for me.

As the group of 19 "Outlaws" came out of Uncle Ray's Rib Joint, drunk as skunks, with their 9mm pistols pointed in the air, shooting, I started dropping them one every 1.1 seconds, with massive Sniper's Triangle shots. The Sniper's motto — "One Shot, One Kill" — applied here. No telling what havoc and carnage would have happened if just one of them got away, in that town, to other residents. The AR-10, at 300-900yds, depending upon the scope, has more kinetic firepower than a .357 Magnum at point-blank range. It was over in less than 23 seconds and none of them even knew "where it came from". The Deputies had multiple ambulances backing them up, and went in first. One last "Outlaw" biker came out and saw the carnage, and I headshot him as he pulled his 9mm, looking at which Deputies' cars to shoot at first. It was over: 20 dead "domestic terrorists". Sgt Clay and I cleaned-up the spent brass casings and made our way down from "the hide", to the front door. The homeowners were thankful that they wouldn't have to go through what they did for the past several years' New Year's Days. I can't even imagine what that terror that was like.

Exhausted, I went down to the Police Station to help fill-out paperwork, and sign some affadavits, which would be used in the Grand Jury Hearing. Since this was a "justified kill" by the DA, I had nothing to worry about, again. Then, I went back to The Cabin with Sgt Clay to retrieve his Patrol Car, and he said, "Nice shooting, John"! And he left. I disarmed the building carried my gear inside and laid it on the massive oak dining room table, took a shower and changed into some clean clothes. That "widow's walk" was filthy, so I did some laundry. I re-armed the building, turned-on the automatic front & rear spolights, lit a fire, and poured a small snifter of 50-year old Cognac, and sat back in my comfy chair, and just stared at the fire. I was asleep in 10 minutes for a short nap.

I stayed at The Cabin on Monday and slept most of the day, but needed to be back at work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so I turned-down the heat, fed & watered Jenny, called Randy to "take over", armed the building, and left Adam's Junction for York at 16:30hrs (4:30pm).

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict