Chapter 6

March 5th, 2010

Between The Blizzards

After I shoveled my driveway, and waiting for the 2-3ft drifted-over road to be cleared, and I headed-off to "The Cabin" for a few days of R&R, reading, relaxing, sipping 50-yr old Brandy and smoking real, hand-rolled Cuban cigars (don't ask). I took along my Kimber (my daily carry piece), my 11-87 Remy AutoLoader 12ga, and my AR-10 .308cal (7.62x51mm NATO) rifle, just in case the Holtzapples showed-up again. I was prepared. Jenny (aka "Mrs Mutt"), was waiting for me.

I pulled the Jeep into the lean-to, right next to the kitchen's side door. I drew my Kimber .45, chambered a round, checked for broken or jimmied windows, entered the cabin and checked all rooms & closets with my drawn Kimber 1911 .45cal; all was quiet, to make sure it was "unoccupied" and safe for me. The snow

depth was now at 18-24", and with all the blowing and drifting, it'd gotten worse. I had to do some shoveling to get inside. I have Accu-Trac on the 2002 Jeep; no sweat. I quickly unloaded supplies as temps began falling into the teens. The LPG-powered generator kicked-on with the flick of a switch, so I decided to get the oversized hearth fire underway. I noticed additional truck tracks to the 2 x 1,000gal LPG tanks on the side of the Cabin, so I knew I'd just had another 500-750gal fill-up from Roy's Gas Company in Adam's Junction. Nice. His last bill was around $890, so I knew I'd be good to go for a few more months, at this rate of visitation and usage. Jenny was happy to get me back for a few days.

The Cabin warmed-up quickly, and I went out to the back porch to gather a load of split-wood, and logs for the massive hearth. I soon had that fire underway and went to the pantry to get some wet and dry food for Jenny. I refilled her two dry-food bowls, wet bowl and water bowl. She was satiated and curled-up on the Kodiak bearskin in front of the fireplace. I settled into my comfy chair and picked-up "Unintended Consequences" to finish it, for the second time. One of the best books I've read in years. Thanks, "flytosail"! I also brought the Michael Savage Series — "The Savage Nation", Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder", "Political Zoo" and "Psychological Nudity" — to add to my piles of reading material.

I made a filet mignon, baked potato, sour cream, baby peas and grilled asparagus for myself, for dinner. I re-checked my ammo supply for my Kimber .45cal and Remy 11-87 Auto-loader, and all was in order. I had a message on my cellphone from my security company, Choice One, to meet with me at my office next week, to discuss a security system for "The Virtual Cabin", and I called them back to confirm the appointment. I want this done and ASAP. The Holtzapples are a dangerous bunch, and I'd just as soon as shoot and kill them, as spend $5-7,000 to protect The Cabin, but that isn't an option, right now. That will come later, I'm sure.

It was still snowing outside, here in the Southern Poconos, by 6pm, blowing and drifting, so I put another log on the fire. I went over to the large bay window, and looked around for any intruders' tracks; there were none. I had the Sheriff's office and cellphone numbers in my cellphone speed dial registry, but I truly hoped I'd have the opportunity to face and kill the Holtzapple Clan filth, without calling-in any outside help. I had plenty of firepower and would relish the chance.

I sat back down to do some reading, sip some Brandy and have a smoke; not a Cuban Cigar this time. As I started to drift off to sleep, I closed the fireplace damper halfway, got ready for bed, and turned out the lights. I felt Jenny jump up at the foot of the bed, curl-up and also go to sleep.

By Saturday morning, I decided it was time to drive into Adam's Junction, and meet some more neighbors in the local stores. Jenny dutifully came with me, on a leash, with her new ownership tags, now belonging to me. She was belted securely into the front seat of the Jeep. We walked down the west side of Main St, met and introduced ourselves to each store owner, all of whom remembered me from the Town Hall Meeting, a few weeks ago, when I faced-down jack-booted, DHS punks. They were all appreciative of what I'd done and took note of my ownership of Jenny, and offered coffee and sweet rolls. By the end of the west side of Main St, I was bloated from all the food. I figured that I'd make the rounds of Main Street's east side, as well as Broadway, in the coming weeks, as I couldn't hold anymore pastries, and didn't want to be inhospitable, if they offered them to me. Jenny even got a few doggie treats, too.

I spent $125.43 at Bev & Tony's General Store, and went through the Ace Hardware Store and spent another $67.50, to get what I needed for The Cabin. We left for The Cabin shortly, and settled into our bearskin rugs and comfy chairs. The wind had settled-down outside, the snow squalls and showers were moving through, so I decided to fire-up the grille and make a couple of 10oz Allen Bros Filet Mignons; a half for Jenny and the rest for my sliced steak sandwich in Crusty French Bread, for Monday at work. I threw another two split-woods on the hearth and it roared back to life. I kept reading "Unintended Consequences" and was almost finished, as I drifted-off to sleep, snug in my Afghan quilt.

I woke-up Monday morning at 5am, shaved, showered and dressed and headed back to "reality"; I had a 20ac Complex to plow/shovel-out and conduct business. Jenny's bowls were filled-to-capacity, and I'd be back to see her in a day or so. The Choice One Security Company was scheduled to come next Tuesday to wire-up The Cabin and the driveway would have to be done in the Spring, after the new 18-24" of snow melted and the ground thawed-out. No problem.

I was back at the GC&N Complex on Tuesday, taking care of business. I had an appointment with York Water Co, at 12:45pm on Wednesday, to have a 20-yr old water meter "changed-out" in the basement of my condo. I'd come in, open-up, and leave at 12:10pm, to meet the tech at 12:45pm, and stay home for the rest of the day. Dad would close-down. York Water Co fucked-up: they set the appointment for Wednesday instead of Thursday; IDIOTS! So I had to do the whole thing over the next day. Blech!

By 4:30pm on Tuesday, it was raining and sleeting, as the Winter Storm moved-up from the south, slightly impacting us. Forecasts were for a "covering of 1-2". I had my doubts, as the closer we were to the Mason-Dixon Line, the less the snow dropped. We got wet streets; that was all it amounted to.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict