Chapter 67

July 29th, 2011

Sunday Ambush

I was on I-83 north for a short while, and soon at the exit for the quaint Old Village of Adam's Junction in a few minutes, driving down the long road to The Cabin, and its 1,000ft, "Princeton©" American Elm-lined driveway. Once there, I parked the Jeep in front of the large deck & picnic table, on the right side of porch. After disarming the building I went in to see Jenny, brush, rub her down, and feed & water her. I called Randy on my way up and told him to stand-down until Sunday evening when I left, and would call him again to come by on Monday morning to resume care of her and The Cabin.

After unpacking my clothes and gear into the Master Bedroom and stowing some extra provisions into the well-stocked Kitchen Pantry. I grabbed a shower, some fresh clothes, and plopped myself down in one of the LR's comfy chairs to rest. I had some food and personal item shopping to do at Bev & Tony's General Store, and some

freshly-baked crusty Italian bread and delicious "Hot Cross Sticky Buns" to get at Old Mrs Patagonia's Bakery, before they closed at 17:00hrs (5pm) today, for Sunday's Church Services, so I closed all the windows, loaded both the AR-10 .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and Beowulf .50cal with an EoTech Red Dot Scope into the Jeep's back compartment, armed the building, put Jenny in the passenger's seat with the seatbelt on, and left for town. On the way there, I filled-up at Roy's Shell Gas & Service Station, Randy's father's place, where lots of truckers and scores of tourists now stopped-in right off I-83, in both directions. I had plenty of time, since it was only 10:30am, and a tepid but cool 73°F, as compared to a very humid and hot 95°F, when I left York.

I stopped-in at the AJ Police Station & Town Hall, parked in my #7 slot, next to all the shiny new Police Cruisers and their personal cars in the adjacent lot, put Jenny on her leash and went inside to the front desk. Deputy Alan was on-duty and greeted me. He was the one I had my doubts about making it this far, but he had, and I was glad he did. I had my Deputy Sheriff Badge on my belt next to my Kimber 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP and my ID along, so there was no admittance issue. He notified Capt Clay that I was here, and Clay came out to shake hands and usher me and Jenny back into his new, AJPD spacious Captain's Office & Conference Room, replete with comfy chairs, couches, a large conference table, all kinds of new electronic displays and laptop computers and his framed commendations, badges etc all over the walls. I was impressed since I'd been in here last weekend and he was just getting the new office renovated. And he was impressed that I was impressed. He'd obviously put-in some long hours getting it to where he wanted it to be. Jenny curled-up on the large rug next to the conference table, and snoozed, while Clay and I talked.

He now had 3 Veteran Deputies – Tim, Alex, Lee and me (part-time), with Deputies Bob killed 5/1/11 and Charles killed 5/19/11 – and 3 new Deputies Jon, Arthur and Alan, hired 6/22/11, but he wanted 3 more to handle all the tourists, traffic and resultant growth problems/crimes which Adam's Junction (north end of Main St) was experiencing in the past 12-14 months. The Town Square was always packed with people shopping and traffic and If I didn't invent "The Virtual Cabin" to escape to, I'd have gone completely insane over a year ago, with all the burdens the lousy economy and traitors in DC have foisted upon me and my business. Although "virtual" when I'm there, it's "real" to me and I "come back" refreshed and ready for another week in the "real world". parking (east side of Square) was getting to be a real problem. What did I think he should do? I thought for 10-15 seconds, and said that since tourism drops-off to negligible levels in Winter months, there'd be no need for, or payroll to support 9 full-time Deputies plus Dispatcher and Civilian Clerks, but that "3-4, part-time Volunteer Deputies" like me, would be the most sensible and economical solution, IMO. He seemed stunned that he hadn't thought of it. Well duh, Clay! His retort was that "there was no one else like me available", with my 3rd Special Forces 101st Airborne (Green Berets) background, trained instinct and uncanny ability to size-up a situation and "conclude it", very quickly. I said that he should pick the 5-6 best he could find, let me train them and if necessary, "wash-them-out", if they couldn't "measure-up" to the AJPD & "my standards". He said he'd begin making calls to some of the Civilians he'd considered in the past, before meeting me way back on January, 2010 and when we first worked together with the Fire fighters, PANG (PA Nat'l Guard) and EMT medics rescuing many locals from melting, raging snow rivers and floods, back in March, 2010. He was a Corporal back then, and his (now late) father-in-law, Ray Bunce, was Captain of the then fledgling 3-man AJPD Police Force. Clay was promoted to Sargent right after we did the dangerous flood rescues.

Clay took me outside and showed me the new, unmarked Police Cruiser, also with a new, state-of-the-art interior, which he'd ordered for me to use instead of my personal Jeep. It would "take some getting used to", on my part as I like traveling "incognito" to a crime scene – less of a target for perps, IMO – but I'd hate to get my SUV all shot-up if it came to that point. My insurance probably wouldn't cover it, since it was technically a "company vehicle" and not to be used for other than that and personal purposes. So I gladly accepted the keys, moved my Jeep to the AJPD's personal car lot, and slid the new Cruiser into slot #7 for my use, when I was in town. My agreement with Clay was that *I could smoke in it*, unlike the other Police Cruisers in which he didn't allow any tobacco usage. I'd be responsible for keeping it aired-out, inside windows clean of cigarette film, and ashtray clean. I readily agreed to those conditions. He spent 25 minutes showing me all the electronics and how they functioned, the SWAT Gear in the trunk and emergency equipment I'd be issued to go along with that new "UNIT #7" Cruiser. We went back inside, I got Jenny and headed for the unit to "test drive" it, with her securely-belted in the back seat with a special quick-release, K-9 harness.

I told Clay that I could begin training his 3 New Volunteer Deputies after I'd "met and evaluated" them, in the week(s) following the 3-Day Labor Day Weekend, when I'd be training him and his 6 full-time Deputies in 3-man shifts, early on Saturday morning, per "his re-arranged schedule". After the sessions for the 6 Deputies, I'd join them on patrol, giving him 7 men in the field. I could also get down on Saturday after work and do a partial-shift, before the training started on Saturday morning at 7am. I also had a "final list" of "Special Class III Weapons" he'd need to immediately purchase for himself and the 6 Deputies to being them up-to-date, in order to deal with better-armed "bad guys", than the standard Police-issued junk they now had. He could have all their current weapons cleaned and stored in a locked vault, in case they were needed. The retail price was almost $96,000, but he could get them at the "nice price" through several trusted, local FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed) Dealers, in Harrisburg. He'd need to place the order *right now*, so as to have them available by September 1st, since all were restricted, Class III Special Police-Issued Weapons. He agreed and said he had almost $100,000 set aside for it.

I spent the next hour driving "off radio" in the new Cruiser, testing the computer, RADAR, license plate recognition software, NCIS Database access, low profile police Emergency LED Lights and 25-30 more abilities/options which new unit had available to me. Their old cruisers and my Jeep were "Neanderthals", as compared to these state-of-the-art units. About damned time, I thought. It was *sweet ride* and I decided to use it on all my subsequent visits when I'd be on-duty patrol, instead of my personal Jeep. I cruised through town, around the busy Bank & Maple Streets' intersection and through theresidential section of my 10-square block patrol area. People were noticing the new Cruiser and me, and waving! I drove back to the AJPD Parking Lot, slid into slot #7, removed Jenny, locked it and we headed to my SUV to finish my original shopping chores. It was getting on to 14:00hrs (2pm). I had plenty of time left before most stores would begin to close at 18:00hrs (6pm), for the day.

I got what I needed and drove out to Nell's Kitchen Restaurant & Drive-In for a Pan-Roasted Duck Breasts w/ Butter-Braised Radishes, Broccoli, and Brussels Sprouts, Noodle Soup & Dumplings and Cold Pasta Salad to go. I waited at Nell's Lunch Counter for the order to be packaged and boxed-up for safe, non-spill transport, since I didn't feel like cooking tonight, paid my bill and left a nice 25% tip, loaded the Jeep with the large box of dinner and left the parking lot with Jenny salivating the whole way back to The Cabin. She'd get some duck breast and her regular Iam's® Wet & Dry Dogfood, when we got back home.

Temps had risen at The Cabin to 82°F but there was a nice cool breeze blowing through the 80-100ft tree canopy. I disarmed the building, took Jenny inside after a short walk down the driveway so she could "do her business" in the recently-mowed grass along the crushed stone drive. I locked/armed the Jeep for the night, closed and armed the building, turned-the AC to 76°F and laid-out the food in the Kitchen & Pantry, set myself a place at the Dining Room Table, after feeding Jenny. She was ravenous and thirsty. The food needed a quick, minor re-heat in the microwave and I added-in some crusty Italian bread smeared with roasted garlic clove paste and Keller's® Butter, and washed-down with Ocean Spray® Diet Blueberry-Pomegranate Juice. Man, was I full, and had left-overs for lunch tomorrow.

I took a shower and changed into some fresh clothes, wearing my Turkish Bathrobe to sit in one of the LR's comfy chairs, light a medium fire which immediately drew Jenny, also full from dinner, on to her Kodiak Bearskin for a nap. I searched the 1930s Oak Stacking Bookshelves with 8 drawers and the Glass Front, Antique Oak Barrister's Bookcase with 4 large shelves for a book to read, until it was time to sleep, for I'd set the alarm for 7am. I chose "The 5,000-Year Leap – A Miracle that Changed the World", a new one I'd picked-up at Border's on Wednesday at 50% off, when I heard they were going Chapter 11. What a shame, but not entirely unexpected. I'll be going back next week to see what's left at 40-50% off their remaining inventory.

After reading for a couple of hours, I decided to call it a day, and let the fire die down, checked all of the windows, doors and front/ rear spotlight arrays, armed the building and headed for bed. Jenny joined me within minutes, at the foot of the King-Sized bed. Jenny was snoring by 20:15hrs (8:15pm) and I was asleep by 20:30hrs (8:30pm).

I had another bad night; this time not from dreams but rather from R/S back & leg (Sciatica) pain. It's "back" after being gone for 6+ months. Maybe it's a result of carrying so many heavy ammo boxes, cases of bottled water, bags of canned food etc into my basement at the condo, last week, which aggravated it. I was up 2x during the night taking Bayer® Aspirin to ameliorate the pain, as it wouldn't let me sleep peacefully for very long. I got up for good at 04:00hrs (4am), ate 6 aspirin, fed & watered Jenny, made breakfast and coffee for myself, tuened-off the AC and opened all the windows to air-out the place, and went out to sit on the porch at the picnic table, in the early morning light. It was getting on to 05:15hrs (5:15am), now. The aspirin helped take much of the pain away, and so did moving around. I let Jenny out on her leash, tied to the railing so she wouldn't go chasing any "wildlife"; it was just too early for a chance encounter with a black bear or mountain lion family passing through the 4-acre meadow in front of The Cabin. Besides, I only had my Kimber .45cal with me on the table. Although humid, the cool air passing under the tree canopy felt good, and the coffee tasted somewhat better than usual.

I saw Jenny stiffen-up and pointed to the meadow, and sure enough, a black bear and her 4 cubs were waddling through on their way to the stream, ostensibly for a drink. I went into The Cabin and grabbed the Beowulf .50cal with an EoTech Red Dot Scope, and 335gr .50cal rounds, causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds, just in case they came this way for us. But they didn't even notice us. Jenny kept quiet, probably as a reasult of her last experience with one of those bears, which nearly cost her her life, if I hadn't intervened with my AR-10 .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo. I quickly untied her and took her back inside with me, as I sure didn't want to kill anything today, especially a momma bear with 4 cubs.

At 06:00hrs (6am), I closed-up and locked the windows and doors (all have screen doors on them now), turned down the AC to 76°F to cool The Cabin off and get the humidity out, grabbed a shower and some fresh clothes and decided to take a drive through town and sit in The Square, and just "watch people" on their way to "early services" at one of the local Churches, for an hour or so. Adam's Junction had 2 churches: the original, massive stone Church near the center of town, and a newer one Church on the west side. I'd been to both and hadn't made a decision on which to join, if any, yet I'd had "offers" from both. Some of the other Town Square's "residents" were out and about, looking for breakfast, and I'd brought another 1-lb bag of unshelled peanuts along to feed them, as I have on previous occasions. Soon, there were so many of the little hungry and aggressive "critters" after me, that I had to throw all the peanuts on to the walk, quickly-abandon the Park bench and take a walk around the Main Street shops & stores, which were closed. Getting clawed or bitten by squirrels isn't my idea of "fun". And my Kimber 1911 .45cal would make a real mess in the Park area. It was afterall, Sunday morning at 08:30hrs (8:30am) and gunfire in town wouldn't be appropriate. Sometimes, "discretion is the better part of valor". In this case, it certainly was.

As I was walking, Deputy Tim drove by, hit the brakes, parked in the diagonal space just ahead of me and called-in a "10-20", so he and I could talk for a few minutes. He was concerned that he might not "pass my training standards" and lose his job. I assured him that that wasn't the case. This was just "a training exercise to bring all of them close-to-my-level of proficiency", and that no one's job was at stake. Capt Clay had assured me of that fact. He was relieved and promised to do his very best to learn what I taught. That over with, Tim drove off to his regular patrol assignment of the 10-block residential neighborhood, which used to be my assigned patrol area, before it was increased to 30 square blocks, after Deputies Charles and Bob were ambushed and murdered, back in May. They were both family men, gentlemen and we all missed them.

I was walking back to my parked Jeep, when I saw the red light on the Police Radio blinking, indicating that "something" was happening, and after opening the door and sliding-inside, picked-up the mic and asked for a repeat. Deputy Alex had answered another "domestic disturbance call" (the most damgerous type along with simple traffic infraction stops, IMO) just a few miles east of where I was, and he had been pinned-down by shots coming from the main house and adjacent woods. It sounded like another "ambush" to me. I had my AR-10 .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the back seat in its Eagle Carrying Bag, and got a location to respond to for back-up.

When I arrived near the scene, I parked some ¼ mile away, out of sight and range, grabbed the AR-10 and 3 extra mags, notified Deputy Alex and the Dispatcher that I was on the scene and to be careful to whom they returned fire, since I was now in the same woods as the ambush sniper(s). I made my way along a tree line and thick brambles, and could see him aiming at Alex's Cruiser, which had taken several hits to the windshield and driver's door. Alex was behind the car, with what looked like a tourniquet on his right leg, obviously having been hit and losing blood. I radioed for an ambulance and EMTs, as well as for Deputy Tim and anyone else nearby, who could take charge of the scene after I killed the sniper. Sighting through my Leupold Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, I could see that he had a Winchester Model 70 .243cal hunting rifle with a fixed Bushnell Scope and had Alex well-sighted-in. He fired again, narrowly-missing Alex, who was about to pass-out from the loss of blood.

I sighted-in on Triangle and fired, hitting it and dropping him instantly. Another perp stuck his head and 30-.06cal deer rifle w/ scope out from behind the adjacent tree, and I headshot him between the eyes. Both were dead, and all shooting ceased. Just then, the ambulance passed by my Jeep and I radioed that two were down, but the house hadn't been cleared or secured yet. Then I began scanning the two-floor house and saw another rifle, through the curtains, pointed toward the approaching ambulance and other Police Cruisers, and I fired again. The blood splattered all over the moving curtains and open window's glass, and another POS went to Hell, quickly. The .308cal round's kinetic energy is so deadly at a 300-800yd distance, there's just no chance of survival from "Triangle" or head & "center-mass" body shots. I kept scanning windows, and saw another rifle barrel sticking out a 3-4" gap in the open window. I fired 3 shots at the window sill and just below the barrel, which the .308s easily-penetrated, with more blood splattering the blinds and glass. 4 down, and who knows how many more were still around. I kept scanning the main house and 2 outbuildings, where I saw another rifle barrel portuding from a slightly-opened door. I fired 3 more into the door and the rifle fell as the perp crashed face-down, outward through the open door into the dirt, quite dead. I went back to scanning the house and saw nothing more to fire at. Capt Clay, Deputies Tim, Jon and Alan had arrived and roared-up the driveway in their Cruisers, after I gave the "supposed all-clear" to enter and secure the buildings and weapons.

The EMTs quickly got Alex on an IV blood transfusion and rushed him off to Memorial Hospital, where he'd undergo some reconstructive leg surgery for his wound. He'd recover and be just fine, they said, as no arteries or veins were hit, though it was very "colorful", I'd seen much worse, but the shinbone was broken and he'd be in a cast (and desk duty) for 6-8 weeks. Lucky him. Deputy Jon found a cowering, beaten woman and her children in the house basement, and Clay discovered a small meth lab in the outbuilding where I'd shot the scumbag through the heavy wooden door. The woman had made the call on her cellphone, after being beaten by her husband and his meth-making buddies, all of whom were now in Hell, awaiting Final Judgement. I was just happy to "hasten the meeting" with their Maker.

Coming out of the woods, I'd secured the 2 dead perps' weapons and also helped Jon secure the house and the 2nd outbuilding, with Clay. The Coroner's Wagon arrived within minutes of the "all clear" from Clay, and began the necessary photography and "tagging & bagging" of the 5 dead. Shit, what a Sunday morning. Deputies Alan and Arthur had blocked-off both ends of the road to Civilian traffic, yet a small crowd of neighbors had begun to walk toward the scene and were immediately turned-away. I gave my statement to Capt Clay, who called-in the PA State Police, DEA, BATF and CSI from Harrisburg. About 25 minutes later, one of the Feds' UH-60L Blackhawk "Black Choppers" landed on the adjacent lot and 6 DEA guys got out and took immediate charge, since they're always hunting-down meth and coke labs in the area. I gave my Badge number & ID info, plus statements to 2 of them, as did Clay, Tim, Jon, Alan and Arthur, and then they "dismissed us until further notification". Once again, the Feds were PO'd that I'd killed all 5, since now they had no informants to question for leads, but what was I to do? Just allow one or more to keep firing at us until the Feds arrived and could "talk them down from the tree"? Screw that shit! I did what I had to do, and told them so in no uncertain "four-letter words". They quickly understood, when they saw Alex's shot-up Police Cruiser and his blood all over the place. It just wasn't an option at the time with 5 meth-heads firing at us. Once again, they offered no apology; just turned and walked away.

Thoroughly disgusted, Clay, the Deputies and I left the crime scene to the Feds and PA State Police, who'd arrived a few minutes earlier. The SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) are nice guys, only doing their job, and not as self-obsessed, obnoxious and dictatorial as the Feds are. I headed back to The Cabin to clean my AR-10 on the DR's empty wooden table, after spreading-out 5-6 protective sheets of newspaper, and getting the right Hoppe's cleaning kit for it. That done, I put it back in the Eagle Carrying Bag and brought-out the other rifle and shotgun, started packing my gear, changed the bed linens, did a load of laundry, cleaned the Bathroom, put the dried dishes away, emptied and refilled Jenny's 2 litter boxes on the rubber tarp in the 2nd Bedroom, bagged-up the garbage for pick-up on Tuesday, which Randy would handle for me. No vacuuming was needed, as I used my new Dyson® Vacuum last weekend and it is just amazing! The Cabin's windows (and 3 Winter glass storm door units) needed an inside/outside washing, and I'd do that on next weekend's visit.

The Firewood Storage Shed in the Backyard was 90% full, and Randy had stacked a cord-plus on the Firewood Stack on the Back Porch, plus had another 60-100 3ft logs ready to be split and seasoned, along with the gas-powered, log-splitter I'd bought last Summer, sitting near the shed. He'd get it finished by October 1st, and I'd pay him nicely for it, since all the wood was logged-free from my 43 acres. I cleaned-out the fireplace ashes and re-stacked the splitwood on the raised iron grate, with a 3ft log and 10-15 extra pieces of split firewood, next to the hearth. It was now 15:30hrs (3:30pm), and I was ready to head back to York, after feeding, watering and brushing Jenny one last time, until next weekend. If the weather was as bad as this weekend, I'd close on Saturday – we're closed on Sundays for both July & August "Summer Hours" anyway – and leave after my Friday 8pm Church Meeting.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict