Chapter 72

November 25th, 2011

R & R Weekend?

It was 17:20hrs (5:20pm) and 37°F when I left my condo in East York, and hit I-83 North to the Dauphin County exit for Adam's Junction and the long road to "The Cabin", and it was almost 17:45hrs (5:45pm) when I passed the Village's "Welcome Sign" and reached my 1,000ft long, gravel driveway with its immaculately, cross-hatched mowed meadow and grounds, and parked the Jeep at The Cabin's front porch, disarmed the building, greeted Jenny (the mixed-breed, half-frozen puppy I'd found along the road, rescued, and bought from her uncaring owners for $150 last Winter), fed & watered her, unloaded my weapons and gear, turned-up the heat, unpacked, and plopped-down into a comfy LR chair to rest and unwind for a precious few minutes. It was a cold-and-now-dropping 35°F outside, according to The Cabin's Professional-Grade Weather Station, and very, very raw from the week's rain. Good thing I had plenty of warm clothes along and already in The Cabin's closets.

I had a small shopping list of stuff I needed to get in to town, before many of the stores closed at 8pm, for the night. They'd be open all day tomorrow, since it was Saturday, and not Sunday, as I was used to. I could have easily gotten all these things before I left the York area, but it was just good sense to patronize the local businesses, besides most were friends of mine, now.

I loaded the Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines, Beowulf® .50cal with an EoTech Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 335gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds), into the Jeep's backseat, armed the building and left for town with Jenny in the passenger seat, belted-in, same as me. I turned right (north) and headed to town. It was already dark, so I was glad I'd lit-up The Cabin, turned-up the heat and stopped at Bev & Tony's General Store first, to get some groceries, Marlboro®s and see them. They were ecstatic to see me and Jenny, but very sad to read the article and also see the Fox News 43 TV Report (wait for it to load (23Mb) and click "open") about my business' closing, after 21+ years. We must have talked about everything, including the upcoming, heartbreaking 1-year loss of my beloved fianceé, Gabrielle Louisa Montserrat, their 35-year-old niece I'd met the week of November 26, living at 3226 7th Street, just north of Main St, fell in love with, was to marry, and she was killed on Christmas Eve, December 24th, 2010, in a car accident, just before I arrived.

We cried together, and I promised to be back again for "that day to remember her" with a single Red Rose on her grave, regardless of the Winter weather. I'd take both Bev & Tony along for my personal ceremony for her. I left with my 3 boxes of provisions, and Jenny and I headed to the AJPD. I needed to make 3 other stops but they'd have to wait.

I pulled into still-empty Space #7, which I hadn't done since late August's last visit, last time I was here and had the "meth/coke lab incident", and took Jenny inside. Ruth, the Police Night Dispatcher, quipped something semi-funny about it "being against the law to co-habitate with a dog", but I just smiled, ignored her and headed straight for Capt Clay's Office, with mine adjoining, but now dark and the door closed. Clay was doing mounds of paperwork and looked-up in surprise. He wondered why I hadn't called to let him know I'd be coming, so he could clear his schedule and we could go get some dinner. I told him that I had some errands to do before the stores closed at 20:00hrs (8pm), and just plain forgot. "Well, with all you've been through these past 5-6 weeks, it's no wonder your brain isn't running on all eight cylinders", he said. He also knew about my closed business, and also had read and heard the newspaper and TV reports. It was big news in Adam's Junction, right now, and would be for some time to come. I had a lot of Friends here who were very concerned about my mental health and upcoming personal welfare, him included. I assured him that "things would work themselves out", once I got through the newly-dated, Saturday, December 17th Auction, and if I sold the property and buildings, all would be right in the world, once again. We decided to go to Nell's Kitchen Restaurant & Drive-In for dinner, anyway. He closed-down his office and we left. Jenny dutifully-followed, without her leash. Clay remarked at how "different" she was, since William had taken-over her training. I agreed.

It had now dropped to 30°F outside, so we took my Jeep to keep my grocery purchases warmer, as various liquids tend to burst when frozen in sealed containers, if I let it sit in the cold and we took his new Cruiser instead. He opened his trunk and brought along his AR-10 in its Eagle Bag, just "in case", with 4 extra mags, as I'd trained he and his force to do, in early September. I was wearing my Deputy Sheriff Badge & ID, and If I didn't invent "The Virtual Cabin" to escape to, I'd have gone remedial over a year ago, with all the burdens the lousy economy and political traitors in DC have foisted upon me and my business. Although "virtual" when I'm there, it's "real" to me and I "come back" refreshed and ready for another week in the so-called "real world". my new Fedora, which I promptly-exchanged for my dark, navy-blue AJPD Deputy Sheriff Baseball Cap, embroidered with "Deputy Sheriff" on the front, and on the back above the adjustable strap. We pulled into Nell's parking lot, went in and the waitress seated us right away in the Booth Dining Area. Jenny parked herself just below the table and curled-up, waiting for "her share" of whatever I was having.

I ordered a 10oz Allen Bros "Prime" Filet Mignon w/ melted Maytag® Bleu Cheese, Sauted Onions & Roasted Red Peppers and Chanterelles w/ White Wine, Butter & Parsley, while Clay had the Butter-Poached Lobster on a Rice Pilaf, Butter-Fried Oregon Morel Mushrooms, Green Garlic and Field Mizuna with Hollandaise Mousseline and Borettano/ Cippolini Onions. We both had sweetened, homemade iced tea, and he picked-up the tab, while I left a 25% tip. Jenny got her fill of my steak & bleu cheese, and even ate some of the onions and red peppers. We left at 19:50hrs (7:50pm) and headed for the Jeep.

Passing two of his Deputies' Cruisers, on their assigned routes along the way, I thanked Clay for dinner, dropped him back at the AJPD, and headed back to The Cabin. I'd be sleeping late, but would be in-touch by cellphone after 11:00hrs (11am) After disarming the building, bringing the Beowulf .50cal inside, locking the Jeep, watering and feeding Jenny for the night, I re-armed the building, took a shower, grabbed some fresh clothes, and made sure the fireplace flu damper was securely-closed, so as to not let the heat out. It was 19°F and I thought I saw a few snow flurries. Nah. Then, time for some long, overdue, well-deserved sleep in one of my favorite beds in the Master Bedroom. Jenny joined me at the foot of the bed, something she hadn't done on a regular basis for a long time. I swear she'd gotten even bigger since the last time I was here.

I slept until 11:00hrs (11am) Saturday morning, was still "groggy" and felt like staying in bed the rest of the day after what I'd been through for the past several weeks, especially this one. After watering & feeding Jenny, I turned-up the heat to 78°F stumbled to the Kitchen & Pantry, made Fresh-Squeezed OJ, Sunnyside-up Eggs, Cream of Wheat, had a Bananna and 4 mugs of French-Roast, Turkish-Grind Coffee (from fresh, whole beans) with my Chemex® Drip System. I was finally starting to wake-up. I lit a fire with the stacked splitwood William had well-stocked next to the LR Fireplace, sat in one of my comfy chairs and just stared-out the massive windows, across the stream below the 4-acre meadow, thinking about "things". I needed to get back into town and get some visits made, plus Clay asked me to go "on-duty" from 13:00-21:00hrs (1pm-9pm), using one of the new Cruisers for the residential section of my "old" 10-square block patrol area. I'd agreed.

I laid-out my Deputy Police Gear on the empty Dining Room Table, inventoried the magazines and refilled the pouches with extra boxes of .308cal, 12ga and .50cal were going along, and I loaded 15 extra .45cal ACP mags into my "Jack Bauer" Satchel Bag, full of "all kinds of survival necessities". The Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines, Remy® 11-87 Semi-Automatic 12ga Shotgun with devastating Federal® 12ga .00 Buck "FliteControl®" and Beowulf® .50cal with an EoTech® Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 335gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds) were going along, as was my daily-carry sidearm, the Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP. I was ready. I grabbed both my Air Force Parka and Corduroy Barn Coat, knowing I'd probably need both before the day and night were over. The Deputy Sheriff's Baseball Cap was a given, but I left my new Fedora at The Cabin, so it wouldn't get damaged, if "TSHTF". I loaded the weapons and gear into the Jeep, locked it and came back inside to finish my last cup of coffee, by the dying fire. I turned-down the heat to 72°F, secured and armed the building, and left for the AJPD.

I pulled into Space #7, went inside, said hi to Beth Ann, The (more amiable) Day Dispatcher and she asked where Jenny was. "At home", I said. My Office, next to Capt Clay's was brightly-lit and a pile of case folders were neatly-stacked on my desk, for me to peruse. There was also vase of flowers, with a card from the AJPD, and a pile of "sympathy cards" about my business closing, for me to go through. I took the stack of files next door to Clay and asked him what they were for. "Cold cases" I'd like you to work on, in your spare time, when you get some, after the Auction", he said, "but now it's Patrol Duty in your 10-block area". I put the 17 files back down on my desk, went through the cards, thanked everyone in the Dept Office, got the keys to my assigned Police Cruiser #7, with its new, state-of-the-art interior, transferred my personal weapons and gear into it, and let it warm-up for 5-7 minutes. Then, I was off and on-patrol. It was warming-up to a "balmy" 37°F, but I kept on my Parka anyway. Capt Clay didn't like anyone smoking in the Cruisers, so I had to leave all the windows open and not use the ashtray; instead flicking the ashes out of the driver's-side window. Shit, I paid for the cars, renovations, Office upgrades – about $1.5-million from the "stashed" gold nuggets, and he knew it – but he had "rules" and I had to play by them. Next time, I'd use my own Jeep, where I could smoke when I wanted.

A "2-11" (robbery-in-progress) call came through from Beth Ann, at 1st National Bank on Main & 10th Streets. Deputies Lee, Alan, Arthur and I responded, with one Cruiser blocking-off each end of 10th Street, and two of us going around behind the Bank. That's when "all hell broke loose". Two thugs with full-auto AK-47s (7.62 x 39mm) came out the back door, just as Deputy Alan was opening his truck to retrieve his Beowulf .50cal; I had already pulled into full-frontal position with the Cruiser for added protection, while Alan parked sideways, exposing himself directly to the line-of-fire, doffed my Parka, with my Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines, and my Remy® 11-87 Semi-Automatic 12ga Shotgun with devastating Federal® 12ga .00 Buck "FliteControl®" as back-up.

The fattest thug quickly got-off a burst and hit Alan 6x in the chest and abdomen, killing him instantly, while I dropped both perps with single shots to their Sniper's Triangles, killing them instantly, too. Alan hadn't listened to me about pulling-in head-on to a situation, so the Cruiser would afford some protection as he was retrieving stored weapons from the trunk; he was completely-exposed, parked sideways, and now he'd taken multiple rounds to the body. I checked Alan for a pulse: none. I called-in for ambulances and medics from Memorial Hospital, and more Police back-up, while I checked the 2 perps, as well; both quite dead. I secured their weapons, took their IDs and laid them on their corpses for the ME (Medical Examiner and CSI), stowed my personal AR-10 in my trunk, and took the Remy® 11-87 Semi-Automatic 12ga Shotgun inside, carefully working my way through the terrified customers and bank tellers, crouching behind desks and counters. There were 2 more perps at the front

doorway, shooting AK-47s at the 2 street-blocking Cruisers. One also had a Mossberg sawed-off 12ga stuffed in his belt. One spun around and fired at me, hitting my left arm, and splattering blood on two crouching people. The pain seared through my left shoulder, but I squeezed-off the needed shots since it's an 11-87 Semi-Auto, and not a 870 Pump. I shot him "centermass" (3" hole pattern) with the Remy's devastating Federal® 12ga .00 Buck "FliteControl®" Shells, and he flew backwards through the glass door, which had numerous holes in it by now. He was dead. The other was crouching and began to turn his AK-47 towards me, and I shot him twice; once in the face and once in the neck; he was a goner, too. I secured both their weapons and IDs, and radioed that all was secure. My left arm was limp and bleeding badly, now. Shit. I needed medical attention ASAP, and Deputies Tim, Sgt Alex and Capt Clay roared-up in their Cruisers, with 3 Memorial Ambulances and EMTs inside, right behind. I asked the people inside if anyone was injured or hit, and one had been hit by an AK-47 ricochet he also needed medical attention. So I put pressure on his thigh wound, to stem the minor bleeding on the customer's leg with a bathroom towel which one of the tellers had fetched, while I slumped against a wall and sat on the carpet. I noticed all the blood splattered on the wall, coming from my upper arm area, and the same teller got me several more bathroom towels, which I used to apply pressure myself, over my bloody and torn-up Barn Coat.

The Medics were on me and the customer quickly, administered first-aid, put-in an IV-drip – with 3cc of Morphine, which I specifically-asked them NOT to do, since I'm easily-addicted to opiates, but it did make all the throbbing pain go away instantly – I gave my Cruiser keys to Capt Clay, while they transported me to Memorial for x-rays and possibly OR attention, if needed. Luckily, it was just an ugly flesh-wound, no bones hit, and could be thoroughly cleaned-out, sewn-up and heavily-bandaged. Another ¼" to the right and it would have hit bone, and this would have been a "very different story", medically. Deceased Deputy Alan "went for a ride" in a body bag, to the Coroner's Office. He'd been "too slow to act", and gotten himself killed. Obviously, he hadn't paid enough attention to my intensive and extensive instruction, as when I'd trained the Capt and his 6-Deputy force, in early September, under the auspices of the PA State Police, BATFE and DEA. I kept my mouth shut about that, knowing that when Alan came from The PA State Police Academy, he really wasn't cut-out for this job at all. I "just knew" that he'd become a fatality; that intuition unfortunately came true. Capt Clay had a very unpleasant duty now: telling Alan's family about his death and doing all the resultant paperwork on it. (My paperwork was minor, in comparison.) I didn't envy Clay's "job" now, at all.

The ambulance ride to Memorial was Code 2 (lights but no siren) and they took my sidearm, wallet, ID and badge, put it all in a manilla envelope for Capt Clay to sign-for, and take-charge of. They had me patched-up within 25-30 minutes – 15 stitches, upper left arm heavily-bandaged and wrapped, with a damned sling for my entire arm, which I hated – but they mandated that it "was necessary for full-healing" of the "very lucky flesh-wound". I agreed, but would rid myself of it as soon as I could, hopefully not pulling loose any of the stitches. My clothes were bloody, and Deputy Sgt Alex gave me a ride back to the AJPD to retrieve my Jeep, and have someone drive me back to The Cabin to get cleaned-up and changed, since I was still under the influence of the Morphine. They transferred my personal weapons and gear to the Jeep, and one of the AJPD Office Volunteers, Tommy, drove me back and helped me get my stuff inside. Jenny instantly knew something was wrong and began whimpering, but I calmed her down, fed and watered her as best I could with my right arm/hand, with Tommy's help and she settled-down. Deputy Sgt Alex gave Tommy a ride back to the AJPD and said he'd be back in a few hours to look-in on me. I rid myself of the bloody clothes, threw them into the Kenmore #9825 24" Gas Laundry Center w/ Washer-Dryer, took a "sponge bath" to get some of the remaining blood off – Memorial's Hospital OR Staff had cleaned-me-up well when I was brought-in – and then I laid down on the comfy LR couch, and slept for several hours. This wasn't the type of weekend I'd planned for. It was already 15:25hrs (3:25pm) when I woke to a throbbing pain in my left arm, and took a handful of plain 325mg aspirin, though the ER Doc had given me a bottle of 30 Tylenol 3 w/ Codeine, for the pain, I just put them in the BRs medicine cabinet, and opted for the aspirin. They helped a little, but not much.

I put the sling back on, after I'd dressed in some fresh clothes. It relieved the pressure on the stitches, though I noticed a tiny spot of blood leaking through the bandages already. I was due to go back to the ER at 19:00hrs (7:00pm) to have them check the stitches and re-bandage the wound. I could drive myself, but Deputy Sgt Alex called on the cellphone and said he'd be over to give me a ride within 3 hours. I didn't argue. The 4 perps were ID'd as Grove relatives and once again, word spread through Adam's Junction that I'd killed 4 more of them. Jeeeez, they had a huge number of people in that "so-called family". No matter how many we killed, it seemed that there were always more to take their place in the ongoing criminal meth/coke activity. Lots of money in that business, for sure.

I built another fire, as best I could, sat and stroked Jenny with my "good arm", who put her head in my lap and looked-up at me, with sympathy. She "knew" what had happened. I was hungry from not having lunch, so I made a quick Grilled Cheese w/Ham Sandwich & Potato Salad, and had a glass of Ocean Spray® Diet Blueberry Juice. I nodded-off in the chair after throwing-on some more split firewood and tried to add a 3ft log, which I couldn't handle with one hand, and dropped it back down on to the pile.

The doorbell rang, I grabbed my Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP to answer it, and it was William, stopping-by to see if there was anything he could do to help me. He carefully-placed the 3ft log on the fire, brought-in 6-7 more armloads of splitwood instead of logs, which I could handle, put my washed clothes into the dryer, played with Jenny for a while, folded the clothes and took the bullet-ripped Corduroy Barn Coat and shirt with him to the cleaners today, to be sewn-up and spot-treated for bloodstains. He said they'd be back to me, before I left on Sunday afternoon. He did vacuuming and the dishes, while I laid on the couch, and we talked about Deputy Alan's death, whom he'd met at the Town's July 4th Picnic, but didn't know well.

He said he'd be here on Monday morning to take usual 3x/day-7x/week care of Jenny, plus do some extra house-cleaning, so I didn't have to worry about doing laundry or bed linens; he'd take care of everything for me. I promised him some extra money in his normal weekly check, but he adamantly-refused. His brother had been murdered at a convenience store robbery by one of them, 3 years ago, and he was happy to see the murderous perp finally dead. He'd do all he could for me, no charge. I thanked him.

William left and it was now 18:30hrs (6:30pm) and I heard Deputy Sgt Alex' Cruiser coming-up the 1,000ft gravel drive to The Cabin. It was time to go back to Memorial to have them check the wound, stitches and re-bandage it all. I put my Parka on over my Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP, Deputy Sheriff Badge & ID and wore my dark, navy-blue Deputy Sheriff Baseball Cap, so there'd be no question as to whom I was.

It started raining as we were driving to the hospital, and I hated riding in the backseat of a Police Cruiser, where prisoners always are transported, but there's no room in the passenger seat of the AJPD's new Cruisers' interiors, with all the electronics and computers, so I had to ride in back. The ER Staff cleaned the wound, re-stitched 6 of the 15 stitches, which had slightly-pulled and leaked some blood, re-bandaged me and pronounced me fit and damned lucky, compared to the late Deputy Alan. They wanted to see me back at 13:00hrs (1:00pm) on Sunday, to recheck the wound, stitches and re-bandage; this time I'd drive myself. No more sitting in the backseat of a Cruiser and not smoking for the trip. Screw that. Sgt Alex gave me a ride back to The Cabin, since Capt Clay was off-duty, and only Deputy Lee and he were on-duty with Ruth, the Night Dispatcher, and he needed to get back to his assigned "rounds", though it was a quiet night, for now. I thanked him for the rides, disarmed The Cabin, went in, took the arm-sling off, added wood to the fire, poured a cold Ocean Spray® Diet Cranberry-Pomegranate Juice, took a handful of aspirin and retrieved an unfinished book – "World Without End" by Ken Follett, highly-recommended by good Friend, Linda – from one of my antique bookcases I'd bought last Fall – this one and this one, – and began reading until it was time for some seriously-needed sleep. I just wasn't "there", yet.

I'd dozed-on-and-off, all-day, and really wasn't tired, although it was getting on to 20:30hrs (8:30pm), and was raining harder with temps dropping into the mid-30s. I looked out the front glass storm door and thought I saw some flurries, again. Nah; just my imagination. But one never knows up here in the mountainous elevations. I made sure the Jeep was locked, and armed the building for the night. It was a cozy 78°F, the fire was roaring, Jenny was curled-up on her Kodiak Bearskin, and all was "almost right with the world", except my arm hurt, Deputy Alan was dead and his poor Family was probably inconsolable, by now. I didn't want Capt Clay's job, in any way, shape or form; ever. I read until almost 22:00hrs (10:00pm), re-bookmarked "World", and put it on the table, to finish later. I decided on a Late Night BLT with Fried Egg & Cheese Sandwich, a small bowl of Sherbet, checked the front/rear spotlight arrays, turned the heat down to 74°F, closed the fireplace flu halfway, and then to bed, on my back. I took an Rx 12.5mg Ambien® CR™ to help me sleep through the pain; I'd had enough for one full-day of "R&R", up here. I hoped it wouldn't get any worse, tomorrow. It would be, after all, Sunday.

I was up on Sunday morning at 06:00hrs (6:00am) to water and feed Jenny, took some more aspirin and then went back to sleep until 09:30hrs (9:30am). My left arm wasn't throbbing as bad as it was yesterday and last night, but having to sleep on my back all night was a pain-in-the-ass. I'm accustomed to sleeping on my stomach or side, but never on my back, and it would have to be this way until the 15 stitches were removed. I took another "sponge bath", got dressed and noticed that it was 39°F outside, so I turned-up the heat to 78°F, built a nice fire and Jenny curled-up on her Kodiak Bearskin in front of it. Everyone, except the AJPD and Memorial Hospital Staff,

would be at Church today, but I needed to drive over to the ER and get the wound, stitches checked, and have it re-bandaged. I made some French-Roast, Turkish-Grind Coffee, but decided to wait until I got back to have breakfast, as this wasn't going to be a pleasant morning, and I didn't want to "lose my lunch" looking at some of those gory pictures I'd have to see in Clay's folder.

I still had all my AJPD Deputy's Gear on the Dining Room Table from yesterday, so I clipped-on the Badge on my belt, next to my Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP in its Galco® Paddle FED Holster, and Galco® Paddle Dual 8-Round Mag Carrier, put-on the Parka, armed the building and headed-out for the Hospital. I even wore the dark, navy-blue Deputy Sheriff Baseball Cap, embroidered with "Deputy Sheriff" on the front, and on the back above the adjustable strap, instead of my new Fedora, which I had along in the backseat. I didn't even bother taking any of my long guns along, as my left arm was useless in holding any of them, due to the recoil. All I had was my Kimber 1911 .45cal ACP for protection; I felt "naked" without at least the Beowulf .50cal.

The streets of Adam's Junction were nearly deserted, even for a Sunday morning Church day, and I made it to Memorial Hospital's ER in 20 minutes, parked and went inside. The on-duty Nurse had an Intern unwrap the wound, check the stitches, clean it once again, and re-wrap it, and I signed-out. I decided to stop by the AJPD and see how everyone was taking the death of Deputy Alan. It was a very somber place this morning, with the front lawn sign draped in black bunting. I knew this wasn't going to be a pleasant visit.

I pulled into Space #7, went inside and Beth Ann, The (more amiable) Day Dispatcher, said a muted hello to me. She was cute. I could tell she'd been crying, as her eyes were reddish and the box of Kleenex® on her desk was almost empty, while the waste can was almost overflowing. I emptied it for her in the back room's garbage can, and went into my Office, and through the Conference Room into Capt Clay's Office. He looked like shit; he'd been up all night drinking coffee, consoling Alan's Family, doing paperwork and waiting for the ME's report and for CSI to arrive at 10:45hrs (10:45am). Just then, they came through the front doors and Clay and I went out to meet them. Clay had a 1" thick file of pictures and reports on the shooting death incident, which he handed them, and we all went into the Conference Room to talk about it. A messenger from the ME's Office came through the front doors with their Final Report, so now the file was complete.

A PA State Police Lt was with them – SOP (standard operating procedure) – when another Police Officer is killed, and the 4 of them carefully-read through the reports and scanned the pictures carefully. The ME's Office had already done their job, so all that was left was to "finalize the incident" and visit the scene for re-enactment of what happened. I was told to accompany them, despite my arm wound, to verify the events leading-up to Deputy Alan's death.

Being Sunday, The 1st National Bank was closed, but taped-off in yellow "Crime Scene" tape all the way around the building and into the Bank's back parking lot, where the killing had occurred. I recounted the events, as I remembered them, coinciding with my given statements and Capt Clay's Final Incident Report, as well as the pictures taken-on-scene by the ME, after his crew arrived. They weren't pretty. Alan had been pretty-well "ventilated" by that AK-47s 6 shots and had bled-out all over the place. His aorta had been hit twice and it emptied-out quickly. I'm guessing all 10-12 pints left his body, as it was a massive pool of blood. The 2 perps I shot at the back door, also had massive pools of blood around them since I'd hit them in the Sniper's Triangles, causing instant death. Same for the two I'd shot at the front door. The wounded customer's blood stain wasn't anymore than a small puddle, compared to the others' massive blood loss and my blood stains on the wall. A cleaning crew and equipment was waiting across the street, to get started on clean-up and repairs, so the Bank could hopefully open tomorrow. We finished and went back to the AJPD. The cleaning crew immediately began their distasteful, but necessary, work.

Clay and I sat and talked about a "lot of things" for a while, and then he said he had to go home and sleep for a day or two. He was exhausted and depressed; I could tell. I shut-down his Office, Conference Room and my Office lights, and left for The Cabin.

I drove by Old Mrs Patagonia's Bakery, and stopped-in to get 6 "Hot Cross Sticky Buns" and a loaf of fresh-baked crusty Italian bread, to take back to York. I was back at The Cabin by 12:00hrs (12:00noon), just-in-time for Jenny's next watering/feeding, and my lunch. I took a shower, keeping my left arm out of the water stream as best I could, also tightly-wrapping it with Saran Wrap®, which was the Hospital Intern's idea, and it worked; a "full shower" felt good again and the bandages stayed dry.

I was hungry and made 2 Plain Old-Fashioned Grilled Cheese sandwiches, a large bowl of Cream of Tomato Soup with Basil and had a couple glasses of Ocean Spray® Diet Blueberry-Pomegranate Juice. I was full, despite missing my usual large breakfast. I re-stoked the fire, plopped-down in one of my comfy chairs, and began re-reading "World Without End" by Ken Follett, from where I'd left-off the night before. I lost interest in it and put it back into the antique bookcase, for another time's reading. Too many "things" on my mind just now, to concentrate on it.

I began to pack-up my weapons and gear, plus the few Spring & Summer clothes left in the closets, to load into the Jeep, for the trip back to York. I didn't bother with laundry, changing bed linens, vacuuming etc, since William said he'd take care of all that, tomorrow and Tuesday. I went into the Kitchen's Pantry and checked "freshness date labels" on the stockpiled canned goods, and rotated-a-few-out into a box, for use at home now, and later replacement, here. One had a "dent", so it went into the outside garbage can bag. Potential "food poisoning" isn't an option with me, no matter what.

With everything loaded into the Jeep, and securely-locked, I spent the next 2 hours with Jenny in front of the fireplace, stroking and brushing her and telling her about what I've been through over the past weeks, since closing my business. She laid her head in my lap, looked-up at me with those big, brown eyes, whined a couple of times when I choked-up, and "understood" what I was telling her. I also told her that I'd get back up here whenever I could, but that "events in York" would now center around closing it down and getting ready for the just-scheduled December 17th Auction, and hopefully land/buildings' sale, later on. I needed to get-on with my a "new life" and I still had a lot of clean-out work to do, with no one to help me. Actually, being my own General Contractor in 1989-1990 and building this 20-acre Complex, was "a lot easier" than closing-it-down. Of course, I was only 39 back then, full of "piss & vinegar", and had tons more energy and enthusiasm than I did now, after all that's happened to me, over the years. No matter; it is what it is.

The doorbell rang and I grabbed my Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP to answer it, and it was William, bring back my cleaned and mended jacket and shirt, as he'd promised. I invited him in, poured him a glass of juice, and we sat with Jenny in front of the fire, and talked of "many things". I asked him about his history and family here, and he spent 20-plus minutes telling me things about his life and family, which I now fully-appreciated. I reciprocated about mine. Instead of just being a "hired hand", he was now a Friend and part of my "Virtual Family" in Adam's Junction, and I knew I could count on him to do what he said he'd do. I had a "short list" prepared for him, on the Kitchen counter, but he had an even "longer list" of things he wanted to get done around here, to get The Cabin ready for me and Jenny, for the coming Winter months. I liked his thoroughness. He had to leave to make a few stops at relatives' homes, to see what they needed help with. William was truly a "man for all seasons", and one person I could count on. He had my email,

cellphone, home and office numbers, so we'd stay-in-touch over the coming difficult (for me) weeks and months; he'd take care of whatever needed it. I could count on him. He'd also close the flu damper (on his long "to-do list") tomorrow after the fire had fully-died-out, so I didn't have to wait until it did, if I needed to leave for York sooner than I'd planned.

It was getting dusk and on to 15:30hrs (3:30pm), and I decided to leave. After my talk with Jenny, I turned-down the heat to 68°F, checked all of the doors and windows, the front/rear spotlight arrays, tested the alarm system, called Capt Clay's voicemail and left a message that I was leaving, armed the building and headed west on the long road for I-83 south exit to York. I stopped at Roy's Shell Gas & Service Station to gas-up, and headed back to York, for another week of hell.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict