Chapter 74

December 9th, 2011

Back On Patrol

It was 15:20hrs (3:20pm) and 51°F when I left my Condo in East York, and hit I-83 North to the Dauphin County exit for Adam's Junction and the long road off I-83 to "The Cabin", and it was almost 15:45hrs (3:45pm) when I passed the Village's "Welcome Sign" and reached my 1,000ft long, gravel driveway with its immaculately, cross-hatch-mowed meadow and grounds, very heavy frost on the grass, noticed that almost all the leaves had dropped from the "Princeton"® American Elms (Ulmus Americana) and most other property trees, parked the Jeep at The Cabin's front porch, disarmed the building, greeted Jenny (the mixed-breed, half-frozen puppy I'd found along the road, rescued, and bought from her uncaring owners for $150), fed & watered her, unloaded my weapons and gear, turned-up the heat, unpacked, and plopped-down into a comfy LR chair to rest and unwind for a precious few minutes. It was a cold-and-now-dropping 35°F outside up here in the mountains, according to The Cabin's Professional-Grade Weather Station, and dry from no rain. Good thing I had plenty of warm clothes along and already in The Cabin's BR closets.

First things first: call Capt Clay and leave a voicemail to let him know that I was back in town, and then over to Memorial Hospital's ER and get those 15 stitches out of my left arm wound; it'd healed nicely despite my week's lifting and carrying so much "stuff" at the now defunct GC&N Complex, last week. I think the stitches hurt more coming-out than going-in, IIRC. It was over quickly and they put another dressing on it and told me to keep it dry. At least I wasn't all covered-in-my-own-blood, like the last time I was here, after being shot in the left arm, by that fat slob's AK-47 (7.62 x 39mm).

I also had a small shopping list of perishable stuff I needed to get in town, before many of the stores closed at 20:00hrs (8pm), for the night. I decided to wait until Saturday, to do the majority of it, as they'd be open all day tomorrow, since it was Saturday, and not Sunday. I could have easily gotten all these things before I left the York area, but it was just good sense to patronize the local businesses, besides most were friends of mine, now.

It was 18:00hrs (6:00pm) and I drove to Bev & Tony's General Store first, to get some groceries, Marlboro®s and see them. I loaded a box of things in the Jeep and headed back to The Cabin, to make something to eat, and take care of Jenny. After parking, unloading, locking the Jeep and arming The Cabin, put the perishables in the 'fridge, watered & fed Jenny, and made a simple Late Night BLT with Fried Egg and Cheese Sandwich, had some Sherbet for dessert and a couple of tall glasses of Ocean Spray® Diet Blueberry-Pomegranate Juice.

I needed sleep, more than anything else and an extra couple of hours on Saturday morning couldn't hurt; at this point, it could only help me. So I grabbed a shower, some fresh clothes, turned the heat down to 72°F, checked the front/rear spotlight arrays, plugged my cellphone into its charging cord, and headed for the Master Bedroom. Jenny followed and joined me, at the foot of the bed, as usual. I put my new Kimber 1911 Stainless "Custom TLE II" .45cal ACP on the nightstand, instead of the usual Kimber® 1911 "Eclipse Target II" .45cal ACP, as usual. I took 3 Rx 1mg Lunesta®, knowing that I'd sleep soundly all night. Works for me.

I was up at 05:30hrs (5:30am) on Saturday to feed and water Jenny, turned-up the heat to 77°F, and went back to sleep until almost 09:00hrs (9am). After donning my

Pancetta Italian Bacon

Turkish Bathrobe, and taking my new Kimber 1911 Stainless "Custom TLE II" .45cal ACP with me, I cut Pink Grapefruit Sections, made Sunny-Side-Up Eggs & Delicious Fried Pancetta Italian Bacon w/ Toast, had a Bananna for breakfast and 3 mugs of French-Roast, Turkish-Grind Coffee (from fresh, whole beans) with my Chemex® Drip System. It was 19°F outside, so I bumped The Cabin's furnace up to 78°F, lit a roaring fire and sat in the Living Room, until just after sun-up. Jenny curled-up on her Kodiak Bearskin in front of the fire; she had plenty of food and water left for the morning.

After unplugging my re-charged cellphone, I had 23 messages, and went through them one-by-one, keeping the important ones and deleting the rest. Lots of Happy 62nd Birthday Wishes from Family, Relatives & Friends, from yesterday, Capt Clay returned my call and wanted to talk, William left a message that he'd like to talk about any further "Winterizing of The Cabin or the 43-acre property, which I'd wanted done", so I began returning Clay's first, and then William's calls.

Capt Clay wanted to know how my arm was doing; I told him that I'd finally gotten the stitches out late yesterday afternoon, and that it was still a tad-sore, but fully-healed. He asked if I was up to doing an afternoon shift of Patrol in the residential section of my "old" 10-square block patrol area, where "usually almost nothing ever happens". I said OK, and he said to be in by 11:30hrs (11:30am); the shift would last until 20:00hrs (8pm). I called William and told him that everything looked fine, but that I had Volunteer Sheriff duty today, and would leave him a note on anything I needed done further to "ready" The Cabin for Winter. I turned-on the Police Scanner to hear if anything was "happening" in Adam's Junction, yet.

I got dressed, laid-out my Police Gear on the empty Dining Room TableDeputy Sheriff Badge & ID, dark,

navy-blue Deputy Sheriff Baseball Cap, embroidered with "Deputy Sheriff" on the front, and on the back above the adjustable strap, my new Kimber 1911 Stainless "Custom TLE II" .45cal ACP, with Premium 8-round Wilson Combat Magazines, in my old Galco® Paddle FED Holster, and a Galco® Paddle Dual 8-Round Mag Carrier for 2 extra Premium 8-round Wilson Combat Magazines, "Jack Bauer" Satchel Bag, full of "all kinds of survival necessities" – while I'd pick-up the other issued Police Gear at the AJPD. I planned on getting there by 11:00hrs (11am) and using my own vehicle instead of one of their new, marked Cruisers. I also took my own personal Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines,Beowulf® .50cal with an EoTech® Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 335gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds), Remy® 11-87 Semi-Automatic 12ga Shotgun with devastating Federal® 12ga .00 Buck "FliteControl®" Shells, EoTech® Red Dot Scope, and my 16" Bowie® Knife. They'd issue, and I have to sign-for, the rest of my necessary Police Gear,

but I wanted my own personal weapons, not theirs, even though they'd bought exactly what I have, I was sure of my scope-sighting and each weapon's particular handling. Unless I worked with their weapons on a day-to-day basis, as Clay and his now-5 Deputies did, I wasn't "sure" of what to expect in a crisis situation, with their hardware. Mine I could count-on, 100% impeccably.

It was 10:15hrs (10:15am) now, so I loaded my weapons and gear into the Jeep, let it warm-up, turned-down the heat to 70°F, watered & fed Jenny until I returned after 20:00hrs (8pm), armed the building and left for the Police Station & Town Hall, in town. It was a 15-minute ride and on the way, I noticed an unusual number of pick-ups parked along the road; now I remember, it's the first week of "deer-hunting season", and half of Pennsylvania shuts-down to go hunting. With 750,000 registered hunters, it's one of the world's largest standing armies, and when combined with Wisconsin's 700,000 registered hunters, it is the world's largest standing army. Add many tens-of-millions more in the other 48 States, and "there's a rifle behind every blade of grass". Someone said that, but it wasn't Jap Adm Yamamoto, according to these left-wingnuts. WTF cares, anyway?

I pulled into AJPD's Parking Space #7, went inside and said "hi" to Beth Ann, the Day Dispatcher, and to Deputies Lee and Sgt Alex, and then back to my lit and open Office, next to Capt Clay's Conference Room & Offices, hung-up my Corduroy Barn Coat and straightened-out my messy desk top, from last week's "use" by all the State & Fed personnel, and went next door to talk to Capt Clay. He was buried in paperwork and said that "things were so much simpler when I was just a Sgt or Lt, and wasn't inundated by all this fucking paperwork"! I said, "Amen to that; I sure knew *that feeling* after running an $8-million business for 21+ years, with 600+ employees passing-through during that timeframe. Never would I do it again. The higher you go, the more shit there is to deal with". I sat down, rolled-up my left sleeve and showed Clay the healed bullet wound, and he nodded. I was ready-for-duty, again. I also showed him my new Kimber 1911 Stainless "Custom TLE II" .45cal ACP, and he just had to handle it. "Sweet piece!", he said. I told him that I was using my Jeep, not one of the new, state-of-the-art Police Cruisers. He OK'd that decision, since it'd require reimbursement for mileage and fuel.

I drew my Volunteer Police Gear from the Equipment Room, signed-for-it, grabbed my coat, turned-off my Office light, and took the gear to my vehicle to load it. I keep my Rifles and Shotgun in the Jeep's back seat in their Eagle® Carrying Bags with pockets and compartments for all rifles' mags & shotguns' ammo, and loaded the Police Gear into the front passenger seat, passenger floor and Jeep's back cargo bay. Clay wanted me to use the magnetic signs and suction-cup red light, but I just put them inside the cargo bay, except for the red light, which plugged-into the Jeeps "power outlet", next to the cigarette lighter on the dash. "Incognito" was the best approach to patrolling, in my case, and I decided to do it that way. After letting the Jeep warm-up, I pulled-out of the parking lot and began my patrol area, now expanded to 20 square blocks, from its original 10 blocks, due to the death of Deputy Alan. I had to take-up that slack, now. Deputies Tim, Arthur and Jon were already out on their even-larger "multi-square-mile" rural routes.

I cruised my assigned residential area which, without incident, took the better part of 2¼ hours, and checked-in with Day-Dispatcher Beth Ann, letting her know that all was "quiet", and that I'd be starting-over and going through it all again. She 10-4'd that report. I stopped on a 10-20 (report break), when I noticed an all-windows-blacked-out H3 Hummer, without any plates, go by me to the Bank & Maple Streets' intersection, and turn right, and head north toward Deputy Jon's area. I called that in to both Beth and Jon, and followed the H3, with the Jeep in its "unmarked mode", although I had the suction-cup red light now on the passenger seat, in case I needed to stop it. It soon pulled into a driveway to an isolated farmhouse on the north edge of town. I stopped about a ¼ mile down the road and had a look at what they were doing, through my 1,000-yds range Single Lens 8 x 20mm Scope, from my Satchel Bag. There were 3 guys, one with a sawed-off Mossberg 12ga shotgun keeping "look-out", and 2 others unloading heavy boxes from the plate-less H3 into the garage. I counted 11 trips for the 2, and then the 3 went into the garage and closed the man-door.

Deputy Jon pulled-up behind me at 13:30hrs (1:30pm), got out and came over to sit in my passenger seat. I told him what I'd seen through the scope, and he called-in for additional back-up. Capt Clay radioed that Deputies Lee and Sgt Alex were on their way; sit tight and "don't do anything to provoke a situation". We sat and waited for their arrival. They did in about 8-9 minutes, pulled-up behind Jon's Cruiser, came over to my vehicle, and I briefed them too. "Sounds like a meth/coke operation", said Sgt Alex. He radioed back to Capt Clay, who told me to get my Full-Auto, Class III AR-10® .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO), with the Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope, and .308cal (7.62 x 51mm NATO) ammo in the new 20-round magazines, and "provide cover" for 2 of the Deputies, from as close as I could get to the front door, but also be able to see the man-door in the garage, which they originally entered. I did just that, at about 250yds, and Sgt Alex and Deputy Lee drove-up to the front door, parked and rang the doorbell.

The guy with the sawed-off 12ga shotgun opened the door, fired twice and hit Sgt Alex in the legs with one blast, just as I squeezed-off a round hitting him in the forehead, killing him instantly. Deputy Jon was on the radio calling for immediate medical help. Another one of the 3 I'd seen, now kneeling on one-knee in the doorway, opened-fire at Deputy Lee – who dove-off the porch, head-first – with a .30-30 Winchester deer rifle and I dropped him instantly with one shot to the Sniper's Triangle. Lee was unhurt and had protective cover against the house foundation. I scanned the doors and windows with my Leupold® Gold Dot Mark 4 CQ/T Scope and saw another, ostensibly the 3rd scumbag, who fired-up the H3 and tried to get across the lawn away from my position. I fired 2 shots at 300yds into the rear tires, flattening them and slowing-down the vehicle, and when the shithead got out of the H3 and began to return fire with his Marlin 336 .30-06, I hit him once also in the forehead, killing him.

I stayed-put, providing protective cover-fire for Deputy Jon, who sped-up the driveway to help Deputy Lee administer temporary first-aid, from the Cruiser's Industrial First-Aid Box, to Sgt Alex, who'd been hit in his right thigh and crotch. Ouch! By now, 2 ambulances from Memorial Hospital were just screaming-up the road and Capt Clay also arrived behind the two, all of them coming Code 3 (lights & sirens). Deputy Jon had his Remy 11-87 12ga in one hand, and the Cruiser's First-Aid Box in the other, when another rifle poked-out the front door. I saw it and put 3 rounds through the door just to the right of the barrel, and the rifle dropped, unfired. The door almost came off its hinges inward and I could see the perp splattered all over the walls and floor. I kept scanning the windows and doors, while Capt Clay and Deputies Jon and Lee entered the house and cleared it of people: none left inside. The medics got Alex's "medical situation" stabilized – I knew what that felt like – and drove him back to Memorial's ER where an OR (Operating Room) would be waiting with a

full medical team. The 4 perps' bodies were ID'd as some of the Groves, and "tagged & bagged" in one of the ambulances, who'd deliver them to the Coroner's Facility, adjacent to Memorial Hospital.

Capt Clay came out of the garage door carrying one of the boxes and opened it on the front porch: I could see him lifting-out a very large bag of white powder through my scope: more poison powder off the streets, at least for now. He phoned the PA State Police Narcotics Task Force and DEA about our find, and shortly after we'd taped-off the house as a crime scene with Crime Scene Tape, one of the Feds' UH-60L Blackhawk Choppers landed on the side lawn and 4 agents ran to the house. I'd already put my AR-10 back into its Eagle Bag in the Jeep, and only had my sidearm, Badge and Cap. One of the agents remembered me as "The Sniper" from the shoot-out we'd had last week with a large meth/coke operation in a Google-Mapped valley compound, and we chatted for a few minutes until he was called into the house. It appeared to be a distribution point, not a lab, since all buildings were thoroughly-searched and nothing hazardous was found. Just hundreds of pounds of meth and coke, a couple dozen, professional-grade digital weighing scales and numerous pieces of mass-bagging equipment. No HAZMAT Teams were needed.

It was now 15:45hrs (3:45pm) and I gave my statement to Capt Clay, and brought the Jeep on to the front lawn area, and began filling-out "Incident & Shooting Reports", in triplicate, as usual. I needed to get back to my 20-square block Patrol Area and had 4hrs/15mins to go, yet. With two more passes through the much larger patrol area, without any notable incidents except a dozen-plus parking tickets, it was soon 20:00hrs (8:00pm), and I called-in a "10-20" (food break) at Nell's, before I came back to the AJPD to check-out for the night. I'd called-in an order of "Pizza Margarita", with home-made Pomodoro, fresh herbs, two cheeses and EVOO, an order of her famous Onion Rings, and a bottled water. I drove back to the AJPD, had a slice of pizza and the onion rings, and gave the rest of the pizza to the Night Staff and Deputies. After signing my issued Police Gear/Equipment back into their Equipment Room, filing my Reports on Capt Clay's desk inbox, I left and went home to The Cabin.

It was 20:45hrs (8:45pm) and Jenny was hungry. I fed and watered her, turned-up the heat to 78°F, took a shower and grabbed some fresh clothes, and decided to build a fire, put on my Turkish Bathrobe, and do some reading. Jenny was already curled-up on her Bearskin rug. I started reading "Liberty & Tryanny: A Conservative Manifesto" by Mark Levin, gotten from one of my two antique bookcases I'd bought in town, last Fall, now overflowing with books: here and here. I used only split firewood, as I didn't want to stay-up all night with a 3ft log burning, or leave the flu-damper wide open and let The Cabin's heat escape. By 23:30hrs (11:30pm), I was tired and decided to call it a day. Whew, what a day.

After the fire died-down, I closed the damper half-way, checked all the windows and doors, tested the front/rear spotlight arrays, made sure the building was armed, turned the front porch light on, reset the heat to 75°F – it was a cold 20°F outside – and took my Kimber plus 2 mags, for the nightstand, and crawled into bed. Somehow, I just knew that I shouldn't eaten all that rich, greasy food so late, as it might be a "bumpy night". Jenny was quickly on-the-bed, at the foot, and curled-up again. Lights out.

At around 03:50hrs (3:50am), Jenny started barking and ran to the front door, and I heard it, too: "someone or something" was at the front door. The alarm went-off, spotlight arrays went-on, I grabbed the LED Flashlight, Kimber .45cal and Remy 11-87 12ga, and from the front bay

window saw a 300-500lb scared Black Bear scurrying across the gravel driveway and through the meadow towards the stream. My cellphone went-off: it was Choice Security "notifying me" of an alarm signal at their Central Station, in Lancaster (PA). I put-in the security code and canceled it, told them it was "handled", thanked the dispatcher and hung-up. "Night foragers" aren't uncommon this time of year, since many of the wild animals are getting ready to hibernate and are out 24x7 looking for their "final meals", until Spring arrives. That was a good-sized bear. I left the front porch light on, reset the spotlight arrays, put the 12ga back against the wall next to my bed, Kimber .45cal back on the nightstand, and Jenny and I went back to sleep.

I woke-up just after sunrise, at 07:30hrs (7:30am), groggy from the food and that bear "incident" in the middle-of-the-night, splashed some cold well water on my face to help me wake-up, turned-up the heat to 78°F, watered & fed Jenny, and made some French-Roast, Turkish-Grind Coffee. I had to "think about breakfast" for a little while, as I still wasn't all that hungry after the pizza and onion rings, last evening at the AJPD. I sat in the Living Room w/ the Fireplace lit, enjoying the warmth and sunrise over the mountains, which would be completely-denuded of leaves after the next hard rainfall. Just beautiful out there. The book I was reading last night, "Liberty & Tryanny: A Conservative Manifesto", was still on the footstool, so I put it back into the antique bookshelves.

Today was Sunday, and almost everyone would in Church, for either the 09:00hrs or 11:00hrs (9am or 11am) Services, and I still hadn't gotten all my food shopping done for the week, since I did 8-hrs of "Volunteer Duty" yesterday, on the AJPD's 2nd shift. I planned to leave early today and get Murphy taken care of, go to the Weis Market in East York, to finish that shopping chore, and then over to visit Mom & Dad for a while. I had no plans to go to the GC&N Complex to do any clean-out work, since there was very little to do in my Office – cleaning-out 21+ years in my empty Office desk was the worst job left – and I had 8-10 HD-Contractor Garbage Bags to put-out Monday for Tuesday pick-up, since it'd be raining Tuesday and Wednesday, and it sucked doing that in the rain. I hate being wet and cold while working in that Main Retail Building, though those 2 large Modine Heaters do put-out some serious heat, as does my

Office unit. Best to get them out tomorrow, and take some of the lighter ones home to put-out with my Condo trash bags, for Tuesday pick-up, as I did for the past several weeks.

It was a bitter 18°F outside, according to my Cabin's Weather Station, with a Wind Chill of just 9°F; all that was missing was 2-3ft of snow. The frost was very heavy, and the mountains would lose nearly all their multi-colored leaves this week, when the rains arrived. Winter in these mountains usually comes early, but this year it was unusually-late. That either meant a mild Winter or some very severe periods of snow/ice during the coming months. Hard to say.

I decided to get dressed and take a drive through Adam's Junction, and look at all the wonderful, old late-18th & early-19th Century Historic Homes and Mansions, which are so well-maintained and preserved for all these years by their proud owners. Except for her 3-4x/daily walk in the meadow to "do her business", Jenny hadn't been outside all weekend, partly due to my working yesterday's shift, and partly due to wild animals on-the-prowl, looking for a final large meal, before they hibernate. So I decided to take her along on the ride through the Old Residential Section of Town. I turned-down the heat, put her in the passenger seat and belted-her-in, same as me, took my Deputy Badge & Gear, the Beowulf® .50cal with an EoTech® Red Dot Scope, and 10 extra 11-round mags of 335gr .50cal rounds (causing massive damage to whatever it hits inside of 200yds), armed The Cabin, sped down the 1,000ft gravel driveway, turned-right and headed for Adam's Junction.

We drove by the Police Station

& Town Hall, the old Carriage House & Library, the residential section of my 20-square block patrol area, the homes on South Poplar Street, the Amderson Home, the Acton Home, the Franklin Mansion, the Adam's Mansion, the Henderson home, past the Adam's Junction Bed & Breakfast Inn, the Jefferson's Mansion, by Jackson's Mansion, past the Elgin Mansion, by theTidewell Mansion, past Gen Habor's Mansion, by the Brickman's House, Belton Machine Foundry, past the alleyway off Main Street, past the west side of AJ's Town Square, by Adam's Junction Hotel, Capitol Hotel, past Old Mrs Patagonia's Bakery, and finally back to Bev & Tony's General Store, which was open on Sunday until 15:00hrs (3pm).

Jenny and I went inside and were greeted by Bev, since Tony was at Church, for his usual 10:00hrs (10am) Service. Since I was running low, I bought 10 cases of Iams® Canned & Dry Dogfoods, plus a mixed case of Treats, which she got some of right away. Bev had a bowl of cold water for her after the ride and Jenny was a "happy girl", once again. I bought another case of assorted

color "pillar candles", for the coming Winter blackouts, even though I have a back-up solar generator and a Honda 3100 Portable Back-Up Generator. Then I realized that I already had 5 cases of them from here, but no matter. I paid the bill, kissed Bev on the cheek, and left with Jenny. It was getting on to 10:45hrs (10:45am).

Time to get back to The Cabin, as I had laundry to do, an AR-10 to clean and oil, dishes to put away, Jenny's cases of food to store in the Pantry, get packed and ready to leave for York by mid-afternoon. I washed/dried the Master BR's linens, remade the bed, folded-up my clothes into my old 'Nam Army Duffel Bag, went through the closets and brought Summer clothes and gear out to the Jeep to take back to the Condo for storage, until Spring. I had the AR-10 apart in 19 pieces on 5 layers of newspaper on the empty Dining Room Table, cleaning and oiling it, plus disassembling, cleaning, oiling and reassembling all of the 20-round magazines I'd used yesterday. Reassembled, it went back into its Eagle Bag, and into the Jeep with my other Rifles and Shotgun. I left another 1,500 rounds of ammo at The Cabin's stockpile, as I have 350,000+ rounds at home; plenty in case TSHTF. And it will, sooner than everyone thinks. I watered and fed Jenny one more time, since William would be by tomorrow morning to resume his caretaking of her and The Cabin, until I returned next

weekend. The following weekend of the 16th-17th, was the Friday "Viewing of Items" and Saturday Auction itself, and I'd be busy all week and especially that whole weekend, so I wouldn't get back up here until the 23rd-24th-25th, after my 8pm Church Meeting on Friday. I also had a Tuesday, Dec 13th Zoning Variance Hearing at the North Hopewell Twp Bldg to attend, time unknown as yet, but I'd make some calls this week to find out what time we were slotted-in during their regular monthly meeting. My Dad, my realtor and a prospective buyer for the business/land/buildings would also be there.

I played with Jenny for a while, brushed her coat and rubbed her down, said goodbye, turned-down the heat to 70°F, checked all the windows and doors, tested the alarm system and spotlight arrays, armed the building and headed for Roy's Shell Gas & Service Station, Bed & Breakfast Motel, to gas-up the Jeep, and by 14:30hrs (2:30pm) then south on I-83 to York, to get myself ready and prepped for the coming unpleasant weeks. The farther south I drove, the less leaves were on the mountains' trees. We'd had more and harder rains down here than up in the Adam's Junction area.

Valid CSS!

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict